• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

chinese martial art in ufc

I would also like to add that "hitting the throat" is sometimes a too vague a way to describe a potentially technique. A punch to the throat can be different to a chop to the throat, which is far more dangerous and it is practised in traditional chinese martial arts as well as in okinawan/japanese karate as a killing blow and not as means to medal, fame, money etc.

Also a Tiger grab to the throat where wind pipe is literally ripped off is not likely to be in the UFC rules. Not that any of the so called "kung fu experts" who have fought in the NHB tournaments were even close to having such skills.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the old kung fu masters put together the kung fu techniques and their concepts, they weren't assuming that any potential exponent would just stand there and let the kung fu exponent strike their sensitive areas at will. There is a logic and methodology involved in kung fu.

Both of your posts bring up excellent points. The logic & methodolgy is lost on non practitioners or those who briefly dabbled in kung fu. Putting in the time IMO is only way to see the kung fu way clearly enough to be understood.

I would also like to add that "hitting the throat" is sometimes a too vague a way to describe a potentially technique. A punch to the throat can be different to a chop to the throat, which is far more dangerous and it is practised in traditional chinese martial arts as well as in okinawan/japanese karate as a killing blow and not as means to medal, fame, money etc.

the type of strike is irrelevant, no? if the person is moving, guarding and resisting, it will be equally hard to strike effectively. it's actually easier for a grappler to pull off those strikes, because he would have control of his opponent before he tried them. In addition, there is way more to fighting than money or a medal. Non competitiors don't understand that though.

Also a Tiger grab to the throat where wind pipe is literally ripped off is not likely to be in the UFC rules. Not that any of the so called "kung fu experts" who have fought in the NHB tournaments were even close to having such skills.

I doubt anyone has that skill, actually. And unfortunately, nobody can prove it, as it would involve killing someone. Go figure...

Now, that's not to say I disbelieve in a crushing grip. I've seen those.

While they may be very effective, they're certainly not as effective as a swift hook to the jaw.

Not if the swift hook is blocked and the kung fu exponent moves into the central line at the same time and delivers the throat strike.

yeah, but my chin was lowered as you stepped in, and I was anticipating it, so I head, right on the bridge of your nose... what if scenarios can go on all day. But statistically, what has the higher percentage of succeeding - your throat strike, or my hook to your jaw?

A preliminary strike can also expose the throat to a secondary finisher technique. Lets say a punch to the nose or a jab/punch to the eyes followed by the throat strike. The effect of such blows are more than enough to create exposure to the throat as well as other parts of the body.

the eyes?? same thing. entirely too low percentage to deem effective most of the time. sure, it CAN be effective, but you have to hit his eyes first. This is easier with a fist than with fingers. Also, it depends on who you are fighting. A trained fighter will not raise his chin because of those things - he's used to taking them. However, it may move his hands enough that you can hit him in the jaw. to raise his chin, I'd uppercut him.

When the old kung fu masters put together the kung fu techniques and their concepts, they weren't assuming that any potential exponent would just stand there and let the kung fu exponent strike their sensitive areas at will. There is a logic and methodology involved in kung fu.

there is methodology behind techniques in any style. That doesn't mean they are all effective. doesn't mean that the methodology was sound. doesn't mean that their theory had ever been tested. It's no secret that there have been several "masters" who had never even been in a fight before.

While they may be very effective, they're certainly not as effective as a swift hook to the jaw.

Not if the swift hook is blocked and the kung fu exponent moves into the central line at the same time and delivers the throat strike.

A preliminary strike can also expose the throat to a secondary finisher technique. Lets say a punch to the nose or a jab/punch to the eyes followed by the throat strike. The effect of such blows are more than enough to create exposure to the throat as well as other parts of the body.

I think E&K has wrapped up most of this conversation, but I just wanted to add one more thing- one of the first things I was taught in my muay thai class was "everytime you try to attack your opponent, expect him to attack you. In other words, every time you hit your opponent expect him to hit you as well." This is why they teach you to exhale when you're throwing a punch so as to prepare for the hit you're going to take. So, as E&K pointed out, you threw your strike to the throat and want to move in to take the center line, but hes also throwing his jab and has a nice cross thats ready to follow it up the moment you move to the middle.

there is methodology behind techniques in any style. That doesn't mean they are all effective. doesn't mean that the methodology was sound. doesn't mean that their theory had ever been tested. It's no secret that there have been several "masters" who had never even been in a fight before.

Yes, there is some truth to this. However, Traditional-Fist comes from a Wing Chun background which is arguably the most pugnacious of all southern Chinese martial arts. Their theories are time tested & just as sound as any martial arts you practice.

Yes, there is some truth to this. However, Traditional-Fist comes from a Wing Chun background which is arguably the most pugnacious of all southern Chinese martial arts. Their theories are time tested & just as sound as any martial arts you practice.

some of them. gan sau to block a roundhouse kick? not good. I know not all WC exponents advocate this, but some do. I've seen it. And here's something I just ran across, while googling gan sau and roundhouse:

"Two students of Wong Shun Leung got their arms broken from roundhouse kicks when they tried to apply a Gan sau in a tournament held in Japan. "

http://www.springtimesong.com/wckicking.htm

Wow, that would be brutal. I am not very familiar with Kung Fu, so could you explain this Gan sau movement to me? I don't quite get the gist of it from the pictures.

"Two students of Wong Shun Leung got their arms broken from roundhouse kicks when they tried to apply a Gan sau in a tournament held in Japan. "

http://www.springtimesong.com/wckicking.htm

Thats one of the things I hated about karate when I look back on it- what else would you expect when you try to block someone's kick with your arms?