• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

chinese martial art in ufc

The problem with trying to adapt any traditional style system to MMA is that you are going to strip it down. Blocks become hands up, and parrying and slipping. You don't see complex blocking manuevers. Things are kept simple and efficient.

the reason you don't see a lot of blocking is because being in such a passive defensive mode can get you hurt. Sure, blocks can also be strikes, but the defensive nature is the same. with evasions and parries, you are doing things like moving out of the way, setting up other shots, making angles, etc. It's active defense.

That's a good way to put it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Shaolin Kungfu would be effective in the UFC, mostly because..if you've ever seen a shaolin monk training session, those guys are hardcore. they train everything..even groin. I saw a video of a guy getting repeatedly getting kicked in the groin and not wincing. If his whole body were that resilent, he could stand a signifigant chance.

A New Age Dawns

• 1 month later...
I think Kung-Fu could be devastating in the UFC. However, the rules say you can't puch to the throat, wind-pipe, etc...

The rules of the sport keep you from being able to use Kung-Fu as it is intended to be used. I think a CMA background, combined with BJJ or Muay Thai could be a very lethal combination.

Good thing throat strikes are very legal in pride

http://www.pridefc.com/pride2005/whats_rules.htm

Yet they've never been used with any success- a simple tuck of the chin does a great job of protecting the neck

They are very legal- I just posted the link:

The following acts are regarded as "illegal actions." When a fighter commits any of these illegal actions, he will be given a warning from the referee (in the form of a yellow card). Warnings will be considered as negative points in the event that the match goes to a decision. Three warnings will result in a disqualification.

No head butting, eye gouging, hair pulling, biting or fish hooking.

No attacking the groin

No strikes (kicks, elbows, punching) to the back of the head (which includes the occipital region and the spine). The sides of the head and the area around the ears are not considered to be the back of the head.

No small joint manipulation (control of four or more fingers/toes is necessary).

No elbow strikes to the head and face.

No intentionally throwing your opponent out of the ring.

No running out of the ring.

No purposely holding the ropes. Fighters cannot purposely hang an arm or leg on the ropes. Hanging on the ropes will result in an immediate warning.

No kicks or knees to the head or the face of an opponent who falls face down.

No application of oil, ointment, spray, Vaseline, massaging cream, hair cream, or any other substances is permitted to any part of the fighter's body before and during the fights. The discovery of any of these substances will result in a disqualification.

You're simply investing too much into the practicality of throat strikes. While they may be very effective, they're certainly not as effective as a swift hook to the jaw.

The following acts are regarded as "illegal actions." Three warnings will result in a disqualification.

No attacking the groin

No strikes (kicks, elbows, punching) to the back of the head (which includes the occipital region and the spine). The sides of the head and the area around the ears are not considered to be the back of the head.

No small joint manipulation (control of four or more fingers/toes is necessary).

No purposely holding the ropes. Fighters cannot purposely hang an arm or leg on the ropes. Hanging on the ropes will result in an immediate warning.

No application of oil, ointment, spray, Vaseline, massaging cream, hair cream, or any other substances is permitted to any part of the fighter's body before and during the fights. The discovery of any of these substances will result in a disqualification.

You're simply investing too much into the practicality of throat strikes. While they may be very effective, they're certainly not as effective as a swift hook to the jaw.

That's where I got the email address.

According to the posted rules hair cream is more dangerous than a strike to the throat. :lol:

I agree that having gloves on it's going to make it a difficult target to hit & a swift hook to the jaw might be the better option. Barehanded striking the throat can be lethal.

Having unfortunately been on the receiving end of a throat strike(grazing) I can attest to it's effectiveness.

Any decent boxer will keep their chin down to keep from getting popped on the button. Any decent martial artist will also do so to keep from getting struck in the throat.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

According to the posted rules hair cream is more dangerous than a strike to the throat. :lol:

I agree that having gloves on it's going to make it a difficult target to hit & a swift hook to the jaw might be the better option. Barehanded striking the throat can be lethal.

Having unfortunately been on the receiving end of a throat strike(grazing) I can attest to it's effectiveness.

Not allowing vaseline or any type of lubricants isnt for a safety factor but rather to allow for fair play. In past times, many people have lubed themselves up, so to speak, hoping that it would allow them to help escape the clutches of a skilled grappler.

As far as throat strikes are concerned, I didnt say they werent effective, but rather they're easily blocked by tucking the chin, which would make a fist a better weapon to use. Should your opponent not know to tuck his chin, attacking with a throat strike or hitting his exposed jaw will yield the same effect.

The following acts are regarded as "illegal actions." Three warnings will result in a disqualification.

No attacking the groin

That's where I got the email address.

having the body greased up makes you slippery, no? when you are slippery , you are hard to hold, making you harder to grapple with and making strikes glance off of you - it's cheating. the throat on the other hand is defended VERY well - a basic boxing stance teaches you to keep your chin down and hands up. Combine that with head and body movement and the throat is very hard to hit, gloves or not. I've been hit in the throat also, but never while I was resisting my opponent. it can be effective, IF you can even land it...

• 2 weeks later...
While they may be very effective, they're certainly not as effective as a swift hook to the jaw.

Not if the swift hook is blocked and the kung fu exponent moves into the central line at the same time and delivers the throat strike.

A preliminary strike can also expose the throat to a secondary finisher technique. Lets say a punch to the nose or a jab/punch to the eyes followed by the throat strike. The effect of such blows are more than enough to create exposure to the throat as well as other parts of the body.

When the old kung fu masters put together the kung fu techniques and their concepts, they weren't assuming that any potential exponent would just stand there and let the kung fu exponent strike their sensitive areas at will. There is a logic and methodology involved in kung fu.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".