chinese martial art in ufc

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Kung-Fu could be devastating in the UFC. However, the rules say you can't puch to the throat, wind-pipe, etc...

The rules of the sport keep you from being able to use Kung-Fu as it is intended to be used. I think a CMA background, combined with BJJ or Muay Thai could be a very lethal combination.

though u can not use all of the techniques in kungfu i still think it could be effective, i meen there are lots of techniques besides. the ones that are fatal, that i think applied correctly could be devistating in the UFC cage.

oh and by the way jstreet remember me, i had asked u about kungfu schools in san antonio, back own the other forum i few weeks ago. ( i can say there names here) but recently i left them, cus they were to full of themselves and stuff.

you must learn different combinations of techniques down to your very soul and they must come without thinking when you finish with one technique, you must immediately go into another until you have attained your goal which is to destroy the enemy.

I think Kung-Fu could be devastating in the UFC. However, the rules say you can't puch to the throat, wind-pipe, etc...

I think you overestimate a CMA's ability to execute a throat strike against a trained opponent. Anyone who knows what they are doing will keep their chin down, anyway.

I think that styles will basically amalgamate to what we see now - there are only so many ways to strike or kick someone. The people who are successful are the ones who are willing to put the work into beating & getting beaten.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

The problem with trying to adapt any traditional style system to MMA is that you are going to strip it down. Blocks become hands up, and parrying and slipping. You don't see complex blocking manuevers. Things are kept simple and efficient.

Therefore, when you see an MMA fight, you will see stiking with the fists, kicking low to mid level for the most part, and takedowns to work a submission.

Most of us have seen the video of the Wing Chun guy, with the super fast hands. But, realistically, there is a reason why he is not seen in MMA. (I am not assuming that he doesn't fight in MMA, but he is not readily recognizable to any that we know, and you don't see hand techniqes like that in the MMA for a reason.)

The problem with trying to adapt any traditional style system to MMA is that you are going to strip it down. Blocks become hands up, and parrying and slipping. You don't see complex blocking manuevers. Things are kept simple and efficient.

Therefore, when you see an MMA fight, you will see stiking with the fists, kicking low to mid level for the most part, and takedowns to work a submission.

Most of us have seen the video of the Wing Chun guy, with the super fast hands. But, realistically, there is a reason why he is not seen in MMA. (I am not assuming that he doesn't fight in MMA, but he is not readily recognizable to any that we know, and you don't see hand techniqes like that in the MMA for a reason.)

actually i have not seen this video. can u give me a link to it please ?

you must learn different combinations of techniques down to your very soul and they must come without thinking when you finish with one technique, you must immediately go into another until you have attained your goal which is to destroy the enemy.

I don't think chinese martial arts would be effective in the ufc for one reason...

there are rules.

The chinese martial arts (at least the ones i've been exposed to, albeit i have been exposed to very little) are based to work. They're meant to win, in an environment when there are no rules. Chinese martial arts started when people had no problems with spitting in your eye or kicking you in the groin, and so they are designed to retaliate to such. The UFC restricts what you can do in the arena, and rightly so. I would like to believe that the world has evolved past the time when people enjoyed to watch people get killed. The truth of the matter is, however, that sometimes nasty things are necessary, and that is what the chinese martial arts prepare you for. There is, however, no need to televise it and applaud it.

Work Hard, Play Hard, Live Hard,

but Love Softly, and with all your Heart,

For Time waits for no one,

and Life goes hand-in-hand.

~Max

The rules of the sport keep you from being able to use Kung-Fu as it is intended to be used. I think a CMA background, combined with BJJ or Muay Thai could be a very lethal combination.

that's not true at all, really. Are strikes to those areas the ONLY strikes in kung fu? Not at all. If they were, then you wouldn't be able to have shuai chiao, san shou and kuo shu tournaments...

the rules don't let you break bones. This means they limit BJJs effectiveness, because you can't break the limb - you have to do it slowly so that they have time to tap. It's all about modification - you have to train according to the rules of the venue you are fighting in. There are karate guys in K1. they adapted. there are boxers in ufc - they adapted.

adaptation and proper training are key.

the reason you don't see a lot of blocking is because being in such a passive defensive mode can get you hurt. Sure, blocks can also be strikes, but the defensive nature is the same. with evasions and parries, you are doing things like moving out of the way, setting up other shots, making angles, etc. It's active defense.