• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Need Some Advice pls

Kazuma

I am a college student so I dont have alot of $$ but I want to start martial arts training so I looked on the internet for some good schools. So my question is has anyone heard of Tracys karate? It seems like a Mcdojo if you go to their website. I also found a wing chun school near me. I also found Cincinnati Shotokan Karate Do near me. I dont want some sport orianted dojo but real martial arts. I am mostly concerned with effectivness. Can you please help me pick a school? Thank you for your time.

http://www.tracyskarate.com/

http://www.cincinnatishotokan.com/

http://www.yoseikan2.com/index.html

http://cinciwingchun.com/home.html

"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing else to pursue." -Hagakure

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I liked the Cincinati Shotokan site, and the two wing chun sites. Didn't like Cinci Shotokan's 50 minute classes, but that's just me. The kenpo place is probably legit, the website was just too cluttered, though.

Spend a day or 4 and go check out each school, and talk to the instructors, and learn everything you can about them before making your decision.

One more thing....you said you didn't have a lot of money, being a student, so you should check to see if the college you attend offers a martial arts credit. The juco I attended and the 4 year college I attended both offered MA classes for credit, so I have 6 credit hours of TKD on my college transcript! One more option to look into.

Thanks Bushiso-Man96,

I go to Miami University and all they offer currently is a martial arts club which I believe is tkd and Im not interested in that style.

"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing else to pursue." -Hagakure

You may want to check and see if there's a community college or YMCA as they usually offer low cost instruction. My recommendation is to just go sit in on a class from each of the dojo's and see what one you like the best. It's harsh to say because I remember my poor college student days, but a good instructor is very much worth the extra money it costs.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Lordtariel,

Thanks for the advice. I want to have a good foundation when begging my martial arts training so I think it would have to be Wing Chun or Kempo but I have contacted both to find out how much their fees are. If both dojos are too much then I will :bawling: then probably get really :kaioken: . I have heard good things about both systems but I have heard Shotokan is more for tournaments so I am not interested in it anymore. What do you think about shootboxing is it effective? I found a dojo that teaches it but I am unsure.

http://www.mmamonroemartialarts.com/

Actually, I found the yoseikan2 to be very interesting. Beautiful dojo and the instructors have been there a long time! Not your typical received a black belt in 3 years type of deal. As for the kempo school, I nearly had a seizure just looking at that site. One thing I can tell you about that place, the instructor is all about money$$$$$! Just notice how many things he is selling right on the first page. By the way, I take shotokan and we do not tournament.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Actually, I found the yoseikan2 to be very interesting. Beautiful dojo and the instructors have been there a long time! Not your typical received a black belt in 3 years type of deal. As for the kempo school, I nearly had a seizure just looking at that site. One thing I can tell you about that place, the instructor is all about money$$$$$! Just notice how many things he is selling right on the first page. By the way, I take shotokan and we do not tournament.

Kind of off topic, but I notice this skewed view of shotokan as of late. Sounds like it gets picked on a little, like TKD. Don't understand that.

I agree wholeheartedly with keeping away from that Kempo school, it doesn't "feel" legit to me.

Regarding the rest I agree that the Shotokan dojo is fine, as well as the other two. I selected Shotokan for my personal training so I'm a little biased, but that school seems like a better choice given the other two websites.

However what I do recommend is like the others have said: to sit down and watch at least one full class for these schools. Afterward have a quick chat with the instructor to get some basic information. If you think you'll get along with the instructor (i.e. they're professional and courteous) then you should be OK. I don't recommend signgin up with a school which locks you into a fee contract forcing you to pay even if you quit, so watch out for that.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Cathal said: I agree wholeheartedly with keeping away from that Kempo school, it doesn't "feel" legit to me.

I wouldn't discount this school completely based off the web site. Maybe the owner doesn't have a good web designer.

Cathal said: I don't recommend signgin up with a school which locks you into a fee contract forcing you to pay even if you quit, so watch out for that.

I have a direct deposit contract through my school. My instructor doesn't like have to collect the bills. Also, for those that sign up longer, they get a better deal on the class fees. Just because a school uses contracts doesn't make it a bad school. Most of them should have a 3 month trial period you can sign up for, or something like that. Personally, I think it would take about 3 months to see if you like what you are doing, anyways.