• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Chinese Kenpo Karate

jstreet

Hello,

Has anyone ever heard of Chinese Kenpo Karate? I ran across this website and it seems like it may be a good school, but I was unsure about it being Chinese Karate.

http://www.austinkenpokarate.com/

Here's the link.

http://www.austinkenpokarate.com/kenpo_belts.html

If you click on the belts link and actually click on the different colored belts it tells you what the curriculum is to advance to the next level. I was wondering if this is similar to American Kenpo. If anyone has time please check it out.

Thanks in advance.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The curriculum and lineage indicate that it is a derivative of American Kenpo. I am not sure about the specifics, but Mr. Parker is listed in the lineage section.

I can't comment on the school as I do not live in the area. Good luck.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

This is American Kenpo, under its proper name.

A little history lesson: Kenpo started in the 40's, in Hawaii. When did Hawaii become a state? 1957. Parker always called it Chinese Karate or Chinese Kenpo, because its roots are in Chinese arts.

I like it. Can't say anything about how they move, or what they know, as I haven't seen them, but they've got everything right, so far.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Thanks for the responses. I am considering this school as well as two other Kung-Fu schools. If anyone here has studied both Karate and Kung-Fu, please let me know what the differences are in your opinions. My goal is to get in better shape, become proficient in the art/understand the philosophy of wanting this to be a part of your every day life, and obviously self-defense.

Chinese Karate is still a mystery for me, is it more like Karate or Kung-Fu?

Chinese Karate is still a mystery for me, is it more like Karate or Kung-Fu?

The answer to your question: Yes.

Chinese Karate is called such because it has roots in Chinese and Japanese arts. We have circles like kung fu, and lines like karate. It's like taking the best of both worlds and putting them together. It doesn't really lean toward either one - it has the fluidity and speed of Kung fu, with the power of karate.

I have studies Eagle Claw kung fu, and basics of a few other animal styles, and seen some differences; overall, Chinese Karate tends to be more efficient than kung fu.

Ed Parker

I looked at the instructor and lineage, and here's what I have to say: Steve LaBounty is a great Kenpoist. The organization was Parker sanctioned, and pre-Parker's death, which is even better than good. Jeff Schroder has a lot of experience in a lot of areas - I'm not too thrilled that he's a third degree black belt after 10 years, but I suppose that's not really too fast - considering his previous experience. I'd say go for it.

Ed Parker

Thanks for your help parkerlineage. I guess you are OK with the JJ tied in with the Kenpo? I found this link at a Kenpo website and it has a little of the history behind why it's called Chinese Kenpo Karate.

http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521

Here's the quote from the Thread.

"""""""........When I first took Kenpo in 1972, it was called Chinese Kenpo. It was Ed Parker's Kenpo with many of the same techniques (or very similar ones) and forms as outlined in Infinite Insights vol. 5. At that time there were also other techniques that were later removed or altered by Mr. Parker. My understanding is that today's Tracy system is quite similar to what was called Chinese Kenpo back then.

in the early 1960's, Mr. Parker researched several Chinese systems, which he combined with what he'd learned from Prof. Chow and called that combination Chinese Kenpo. When he later re-organized his system, he wanted to emphasize the distinclty American slant he put on it and then he called it American Kenpo.

I think one prominent Kenpoist who still adheres to much of the Chinese Kenpo system is Mr. LaBounty......""""""""""

http://www.kenpo-texas.com/

This is the other Kenpo school in Austin. I was interested in this school but it will not work with my work schedule at all. He has the Parker Lineage like you speak of. He referred me to Schroder and said he is a great Martial Artist. The guy before Schroder, Mike Abedin (Sp) was an ex- Marine and the school had a rep for being hard core. I don't know now that Schroder has it. I am going to check it out. Thanks for all of the help, again. It looks like we have pretty good schools to choose from here in Austin.

It looks like we have pretty good schools to choose from here in Austin.

Lucky. :D

I've used that website for references on Tracy sets before. Sounds good.

As for the mix of JJ, that's exactly what Kenpo needs - trained in it myself, a bit.

Ed Parker