• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Something I have learned last night.

Karateka

I don't want to wake up a sleeping thread but this one interested me.

We had a serious of moving drills we did moving across the floor in lines to "try and improve or closing distance". That sounds like the type of thing you mean. Combinations that started with like a lunge step forward. And some that started with stepping forward with the back foot.

The idea was to cover as much ground as possible. (And hopefully, as quickly as possible.)

I usually found these drills challanging. But, I do have to admit than when I did them on a regular basis I was faster when I sparred.

I don't posses the physical ability to jump (or run), but would love to hear any other ideas in this area on how to move faster.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I knew a guy who used to do that in Karate tournaments, and boy was he succesfull with it! Only works in tournaments once though...but in a real fight it would be good ish.

Shotokan Karate Black Belt

==Defend the path of Truth==

Yes, It goes back to what I have been taling about in another thread, Being first off the mark with a fast technique will do either or Both of the following,

1) Score a point fast in the early seconds of the round

2) Intimidate your opponent into thinking that he has no chance of winning

Going back to what was said earlier, this only works once, so instead of being first off the mark with one technique, try it with another, if it doesn't work go for the defensive method to start with, this way the opponent will get into a state of attack and drop his guard, thats when you find a spot and then STRIKE!!!!

Anthony Bullock

1st Dan Black Belt - Shotokan Karate

5th Kyu Yellow Belt - Aiki-Jutsu

https://www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon

• 1 year later...
i understand what ur talking about .. its a way of not letting ur oppinet get into a stance or strike .. u do it on the line u think off the back of ur head a technique u will use before the judge says ajame . .. like zenkutsu dachi oi suki . if he blocks a ushiro mawashi geri or mawashi geri .. i learned those moves .. and it seems to work ..any other tecniques that u learned so far ..

Well for explosiveness in the legs you can do fartlek runs. (alternate jogging and sprinting sparadically) It's a great way to work your aerobic/anaerobic in the same run too. :)

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

I find that the vast majority of times your opponent's plan is also to explode from the line. You get to one another VERY quickly, as you both only have to cover roughly half the distance, however it usually doesn't give anyone the advantage. What works best for me is to explode in, but instead of heading directly toward my opponent, I move at an angle. Hopefully I can sneak one in afterwards, but at least we didn't clash. In a clash it is hard for a judge to see your point if you make a good hit. Kumite is just a game, and to win the judges have to see you score.