• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Something I have learned last night.

Karateka

Last night in my class, we were working on some new Kumite stuff. It wasn't fighting techniques, it was explosiveness techniques. This would mostly be understood by point sparrers. You are on the line, you bow (on your mark), yoi (get set), HAJIME (go). Then we worked on the explosive power in our legs to just rush 'em on the line.

My question is, what type of training do you do that is not really Martial Arty in the sense that it is more like track and field training or what not.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you mean leaping at you oponent? Cos i used to practice that. Leaping's good for jiujutsu and some kumite... Otherwise i haven't done any other stuff like that...

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

Not leaping, just exploding off the line into a technique while the other guy is just getting into his stance.

We do self-defense type of motions and attacks from a relaxed regular standing position sometimes. This is to simulate "what if you aren't ready and somewhat attacks you". A person doesn't always have time to get into their martial arts stance. I explode at a 45-degree angle towards the opponent and kick them in the legs very hard then follow up with a flurry of punches and kicks until they can't fight.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

Aw yeah, now i know what you mean... That's just a natural part of fighting. I just call it catching him off-guard. Basically u jump in straight away right? It can make your oponent freeze sometimes too!

Totally, it just takes them right off their train of thought. It is great to see them frazzled for that one instance when they go "where the hell did that come from?" It is great!!!

No kidding. And even better is when you see their eyes on you when they hit the ground like a sac of potatoes.

Something related: how do you mentally, physically, or even spiritually set yourself up for a fight. I physically just work on drills and mentally I put into my head that I must do what I must to win. Spiritually is a different matter. I am very spiritual in the sense that whenever I partake in something which requires a lot of thought, I go into a meditation. I am a Sikh but I find myself going to Taoism, Buddhism, and Zenism. I mostly prefer Buddhism because I like the non-violent ways (strange to go to a book on non violence before a fight). I don't know, it helps me decide on a great number of things. Not that I look to the gods but rather look in myself. I was wondering what you guys do and what your thoughts are on the subject.

Heh, right on!

As for fight preparation - i HATE. That's it, i hate. Hatred is my friend, along with pain. I did a thread on controlled rage or something ages ago and it caused a hubub. It's going to get me killed one day, and i know i'm not the best - but no-one will ever make me beg for my life. I'd rather die, knowing that i had the chance to spit my dislodged teeth into their eyes... :kaioken:

Speaking of the best, i watched Best of the Best 2 a couple of hours ago. Then i did THE BEST WORKOUT EVER!! It is such a good movie! I should watch a martial arts movie every time i want to do a good workout.

• 2 weeks later...

We do shuttle runs to keep and rise our fitness for our gradings and general performance.Anyone else?

:grin:

[Edited by Admin: No images allowed in signature, please take the image out via your Edit Profile page. Thank you.]

This Message was edited by: Patrick on Aug 11, 2001 9:12am

Anthony Bullock

1st Dan Black Belt - Shotokan Karate

5th Kyu Yellow Belt - Aiki-Jutsu

https://www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon