• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Too much yelling...

armanox

the target identification (from what i understand, as i am just a beginner) happens too late for your opponent to do anything about it. the kiai takes place as the strike LANDS, and as such there is no "tell" from the kiai. i suppose it's also a bonus for judges who can hear what you MEANT to hit.

Gee, your neighbors must LOVE it when you practice at home....

With respect,

Sohan

funny you should mention it sohan...the people next door frequently tell us to "SHUT THE **** UP". although, they play terrible, terrible dance music (what is it with martial arts and dance clubs always being right next to each other?).

on a related note, i was chastised the other night for NOT KIAI-ING ENOUGH in my karate class. i thought it was funny, because i kiai in real sparring matches and kata divisions. but evidently i don't when practice...

whodathunkit

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kendo is very much about precise form. you can't just whack someone with a stick, you have to get everything pretty much perfect. the target identification type of kiai has never been explained to me adequately, but i think its basically to show the referees that you hit what you were going for i.e. to prevent flukes.

this all stems from the fact that samurai wore armor, and you're not going to kill an armored warrior by slashing your sword at them any old how.

also if you ever see a match between experienced kendoka, its rediculously fast. the two kendoka will have a bit of 'eyeing eachother up' type stuff, then in a fraction of a second techniques are exchanged and its probably over. sometimes i can't tell what's happened and i'm a shodan. the target identification really helps.

and daizyblackbelt's beaten me to it again; by the time you make the kiai you will already have defeated your opponent (or been countered).

and lol, my only neighbour is a deaf old lady. lovely person, she's never complained but i think that's because she can't hear me!

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Are we talking about kiais or yelling?

Sometimes a yell in jiyu kumite can really show you a lot of your opponent and set him on the defensive without exposing a technique...

but a yell isn't a kiai, screaming kata people, i think, don't understand what the kiai is really for and I usually rate them lower.

good point about the kendo and kiai is being a natural side effect of putting all you have into a technique.

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

I must say that kendo was not on my mind when I originally posted the thread, but I do understand that target identification is vital to kendo.

Still, that must make competition in kendo also quite loud?

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky