• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Too much yelling...

armanox

I think it happens way too much in tournament sparring. But honestly I think that it is misplaced kime. Instead of displaying their spirit/power in their physical techniques they try to display it incorrectly in their yelling.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiai should be used sparingly. One feature I was taught about it was that it was to surprise and startle momentarily. Too much use reduces the possbility of doing that. When I first started a lot of younger students used it alot because in their minds they thought that it was the essense of karate or something like that.

I totally agree with Shui Tora who said use it when appropriate.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I am done with kiai , all matter is the correct way of breathing and not to forget breathing which i see a lot.

This is a real problem, the breathing. Improper breathing kills you in a form.

I am done with kiai , all matter is the correct way of breathing and not to forget breathing which i see a lot.

I would point out that when you watch me do a kata you will not notice my breathing, yet I still am breathing.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Misusing the "Yell" as you put it, is not necessary. However, the "yell" (as it is stated) can also be:

1. Showing strong sprit - a good thing.

2. Executing a killing blow with Kiai - a good thing.

3. Giving what the judges are looking for - many times a good thing, but not always if mis-used.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

I think it happens way too much in tournament sparring. But honestly I think that it is misplaced kime. Instead of displaying their spirit/power in their physical techniques they try to display it incorrectly in their yelling.
I agree.
Kiai should be used sparingly. One feature I was taught about it was that it was to surprise and startle momentarily. Too much use reduces the possbility of doing that. When I first started a lot of younger students used it alot because in their minds they thought that it was the essense of karate or something like that.
I agree.

Kiai, like kime, take a while to understand.

A closed mouth gathers no feet..

Keep Smiling!

Incidently, what is a Kime, please?

Thanks,

Tim

There are a few meanings. Kime is mostly a Japanese martial arts term. In karate it can mean 'focus' - the instantaneous tensing at the correct moment during a technique. In judo, the 'Kime no kata' are often translated as the 'Kata of Decision'. In other forms of budo the term refers to attacking a pressure point. In still another context it can be a general term describing the spirit a person has while performing a technique properly while tensing the appropriate muscle groups.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I have all but given up on tournaments (as I have mentioned in previous post ), but I too noticed when I used to attend and judge, alot of kiaing coming from all ages of competitors. In younger students and lower ranked individuals, I think they were nervous and all but ignored it. In black belts who kiai'ed everywhere, I just saw arrogance. I tended to rate the individual with a great kata, good breath, minimal kiai's, and did not run up to me and SCREAM who they are, what they are doing... higher in scoring.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.