• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thinking of taking up grappling

I currently practice Karate and I'm just wondering if it would be in my best interest to cross-train in a grappling art, whether it be Jiu-Jitsu, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Sambo, Amateur Wrestling or whatever. I don't plan on competing in MMA competitions (not at the moment anyway), but grappling looks like it could help in a sticky situation. Anyone like to offer advice?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! If you are training for self-defense ("sticky situation") it is not an "option" to train in grappling. It is absolutely essential!

I can't emphasize this fact enough. Again, I say: You MUST train in grappling (stand up and ground) if you want to be able to defend yourself.

Otherwise, you'll get taken down by a grappler and he will beat the tar out of you, and you will be helpless.

I'd be happy to help in any way in your style selection or whatever.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Yes, amateur wrestling is good. The lack of strikes is not a big deal, it's easy to add your own striking later.

The big strength arts like BJJ, Judo, boxing, kickboxing, and wrestling have over most other martial arts are their hard-core, rough and tumble training methods. You'll learn what an actual fight FEELS like.

Besides, you WILL get hit in amateur wrestling. It won't be legal and it won't be pretty, but you'll get hit with heads, shoulders, hands, feet, everything in the book.

I'll even generalize and say MOST (not all) amateur wrestlers are more accustomed to getting hit than MOST karatekas.

Still, I'd look for BJJ, Judo, or Sambo. If you can't find any of those, go for amateur wrestling.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Grappling is a great idea, and UseoForce has made very good points. Your karate training will help you implement striking, so don't worry about the wrestling's lack thereof.

Hey,

Grappling will help you a lot. I would highly recommend studying it. Wrestling is a strong art, it will improve your conditioning and stamina, make you stonger, improve balance, ground awareness, and give you some takedowns and takedown defense. Dont worry about the lack of striking. If you can slam someone on the ground and control them, striking them wont be much of a problem. BJJ, sambo, judo, or whatever other grappling arts you can find would be great too. It will compliment your karate and make you more of a complete fighter.

McNerny

A good technique is beautiful but a beautiful technique is not always good.

-Hirokazu Kanazawa