• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how long for a busted rib to mend?

NeilT

Maybe it's 'cause I'm young, but I got my rib cracked in kumite a few years ago, and it healed in a matter of a month or so. I sprained my ankle rather badly and was on crutches two months ago, and last week I was throwing 720 heel hooks in sparring and landing butterfly kicks.

So maybe the answer is...become younger?

Now why has no one else thought of this!!! :lol: Genius...pure genius!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Maybe it's 'cause I'm young, but I got my rib cracked in kumite a few years ago, and it healed in a matter of a month or so. I sprained my ankle rather badly and was on crutches two months ago, and last week I was throwing 720 heel hooks in sparring and landing butterfly kicks.

So maybe the answer is...become younger?

Let me step into my time macine. :wink:

Just some info on injuries: Strains and sprains take much longer to heal than breaks because it can involve muscle, tendon, ligaments.

Fractures are the same as breaking a bone. There is no difference. So when someone says, "I fractured it, but it is not broken" he/she is greatly misinformed of their injury. Never wrap your torso when you have a broken rib(s). Instead, take it easy and stop training for awhile. Constant aggrevation of the upper torso will not allow the ribs to heal in an adequate time.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

this reminds me of a story

it was at my Jr. Shodan exam, it was just me and a guy testing for nidan. We each had to spar every other blackbelt their, he went first. He was fighting a big guy, around 6'5. The guy sweeped him and then went to pin him, and i'm not quite sure what happened, but the next thing i know the guy i'm testing with screams out in pain.

He tried to keep fighting but he could barely stand. So he quits, has to go sit down with ice. And it's my turn. And me, this scrawny little teen-age girl has to go fight the big scary black belt (who is actually really nice) who just busted a few of a guys ribs. I just sat their hoping i wouldn't get broken in half too...

but i passed, and so did broken ribs man just because he tried to hard and really deserved it.

"good enough is the enemy of excellence"

Shodan Goju Ryu karate-do under Sensei Gene Villa

It took me 3 months to heal my first time (10 years ago)...

I jumped right back in after my second time, and on occasion still got hit there...

It took about 2 months the second time for the uncomfortableness to go away, and about six weeks for the the pain to subside before that. It still may not be healed...who knows...

The second time was only 7 months ago. I am nearing 40 years old at this point.

Everyone is different, so it's best to consult with a doctor if you are not sure.

Good luck!

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...