• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how long for a busted rib to mend?

NeilT

Ive had a bad pain in my right side ribs on and off for around 6 months now, and probably its an injury i got in a club competition back in october

Eventually went to see the doc and after lots of poking and prodding he concluded i probably broke one of my ribs back in oct and its never fully healed.

The problem is I havent given it any time to heal, just carried on training and it seems that just when its getting better i get another wack in it :(

So, question is, on average, how long should I expect a busted rib to take to heal itself? Any pills, potions or excercises to speed things up?

thanks

Neil

-------------------------------------------------------

everyday above ground is a good day

1st Dan Black Belt Traditional Shotokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You are looking on average.... 6weeks, bandaged up, on painkillers (most probably Co-codamole) and not doing anything (literally)... trust me, that happened to me once before in a kumite comp... not nice either! >.<

Thing is, there is nothing to speed it up, you gotta give it time to heal, and like you said;

I havent given it any time to heal, just carried on training...

I prove my point...

Time is needed.... :karate:

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

Well i wonce got side kicked to the upper ribs left rigs, the ones at the same level than the heart and i never been the same ever since.

I doubt that i breaked the rib, because i never saw a doctor but i suspect that i cracked it. Pain would always acompany me every time i was toutched in that place, untill right about a few week.

That is the first time i realized it did not hurt anymore.

And that makes a fine time of 2 years from the injuri.

And now :kaioken: i got another injuri just a bit above the heart, a large coin circle of pain right above a rib. But this time i cannot recolect any strike to that place that could have made it, so it could be a muscle thing, who knows.

Or perhaps i took a downward kick while on ground from a standing person... in training and just do not recall.

Bottom line, perhaps 2 years. Good thing you saw the docter.

Once a cousin of mine of 7 years, broke the omoplata, the large shoulder bone in the back. And we only found out latter when he did and lung xray for another stuff. :o

It took 4 months for mine to heal. I gave it about 4 weeks of light workouts, no contact what so ever and light drills. Then I slowly weined myself back into things. The problem is the ribcage is a huge support structure and is always in motion. When you breathe it moves, boy it hurts when you sneeze and cough though. Good luck and take care. Remember...don't push it. Karate will still be there when the rib heals.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

There's really nothing you do for a broken rib other than rest it. Obviously you just haven't given it enough time. All fractures are not hte same, so I doubt there is a blanket time for healing.

Like all injuries, your body needs time to recover.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

it will heal , just need some times, when i read your post i touched my rib and couldn't find it, not sure which side either, and I had this cracked rib for more than a year, I think it healed after i stoped ground fighting , the pressure from opponent weight won't let it to recover, i think 2 months without pressure should be enough.

Both my Sensei and another woman had a rib broken on the same night about a year ago. I don't know how fast Sensei's healed, but I know the woman's took 6 months before she could train like she used to, and even then, that was with everybody still being very careful.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

Maybe it's 'cause I'm young, but I got my rib cracked in kumite a few years ago, and it healed in a matter of a month or so. I sprained my ankle rather badly and was on crutches two months ago, and last week I was throwing 720 heel hooks in sparring and landing butterfly kicks.

So maybe the answer is...become younger?

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker