• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Testing coming up!

I know it is early, but I found out this week that I will be eligible to test for my 3rd dan in April of 2007. I am excited, because I can now see it in the distance. I will have to test for 3rd recommended first, and then I can test for 3rd decided between 2 to 6 months after that.

I am excited, and can't wait!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is the difference between these two examinations?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

What is the difference between these two examinations?

The recommended testing is like a probationary period. I'll have to learn a new form, and then test on it again withing the 6 month period to test for 3rd decided. So, essentially, I have to test twice to get to 3rd decided within a 6 month time span.

That's an interesting method. In my system we grade over an entire weekend with the official test beginning on that Sunday. However unofficially you're being tested the moment you walk in the door. If the tester feels you aren't at the level you have to wait about six months before re-testing.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I bet you are psyched! It is amazing how a goal that is in sight can motivate your training. When you get to the Dan level, it can be years before a test, so a date certain brings it to light.

Most of our BB tests are two days, about a month apart. The idea is the first day is like a pre-test and the second is the test if you were invited back from the first day. Some time between days allows the person testing to focus on their weak areas. If you don't get the invite for day 2 then you start the process over in 6 months.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I bet you are psyched! It is amazing how a goal that is in sight can motivate your training. When you get to the Dan level, it can be years before a test, so a date certain brings it to light.

Most of our BB tests are two days, about a month apart. The idea is the first day is like a pre-test and the second is the test if you were invited back from the first day. Some time between days allows the person testing to focus on their weak areas. If you don't get the invite for day 2 then you start the process over in 6 months.

This is a cool method. Also, on the night before each of these two testings, I have to go to black belt class, in which we have to demonstrate all of the forms and one-steps, and black belt basics that the GM designed (which end up being like 5 more forms, more or less). Then we finish the class with sparring.

An hour of pain, and then testing the next day!