• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know it's because of your sensei/trainer, but don't you think the three minute rounds in training will throw your timing off for the 2 minute rounds in competition? Especially so close now?

This is just my opinion, but if you can train hard in a 3 minute round, and wear yourself down each time, then fighting a two minute round should be a little easier.

In theory, you are right. BUT, here's the rub. You pace yourself differently when you fight longer. If I am training for a fight with 5 min rounds, I will be more conservative than I would be in a two min round, because I have to last longer. Consequently, I wouldn't be ready for the faster pace of a 2 min round. On the flip side, if I just trained a bunch of 2 min rounds even though I have a 5 min round fight, I will gas too soon.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's because of your sensei/trainer, but don't you think the three minute rounds in training will throw your timing off for the 2 minute rounds in competition? Especially so close now?

This is just my opinion, but if you can train hard in a 3 minute round, and wear yourself down each time, then fighting a two minute round should be a little easier.

In theory, you are right. BUT, here's the rub. You pace yourself differently when you fight longer. If I am training for a fight with 5 min rounds, I will be more conservative than I would be in a two min round, because I have to last longer. Consequently, I wouldn't be ready for the faster pace of a 2 min round. On the flip side, if I just trained a bunch of 2 min rounds even though I have a 5 min round fight, I will gas too soon.

I can see the problem there. But, is there as much difference between the 2 minute and 3 minute round?

there can be. that depends on the pacing of the two fighters. someone used to 2 min rounds may attack at a faster pace, because he knows he's only got two rounds to bring it. training today is about sport specificity - be as close to the event as possible. If it calls for 2 min rounds, train for 2, not three.

there can be. that depends on the pacing of the two fighters. someone used to 2 min rounds may attack at a faster pace, because he knows he's only got two rounds to bring it. training today is about sport specificity - be as close to the event as possible. If it calls for 2 min rounds, train for 2, not three.

Exactly. I figure if the match is 3, 2 minute rounds, train 4-5, 2 min rounds. Increase the number of rounds for endurance not the length of each round. Just as E&K says, the length of each round in training determines the pace you'll be able to sustain in a match.

Exactly. I figure if the match is 3, 2 minute rounds, train 4-5, 2 min rounds. Increase the number of rounds for endurance not the length of each round. Just as E&K says, the length of each round in training determines the pace you'll be able to sustain in a match.

Good point. That makes more sense than increasing the match time.

I agree with you guys actually. Thats why I've been doing 2 min rnds when I'm at home.

Today we only did 3x2min rnds of sparring at the dojo. I thought my sensei would have shortened the rounds alot earlier. I guess hes stiil a bit "old school" in some of his ways.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

No, I havent been to any kickboxing gyms that do. I dont know enough about it yet myself. I used to do a little when I was doing wushu, years ago.

Are there any exercises you can recommend that would specificly usefull for kickboxing?

I've heard conflicting views on when to use them too. Some combine them with with heavy weight routines while others advise doing them separately, as a pre comp training exercise, to replace heavy weights. So I've been hesitant to use them until I can find out more reliable info.

I use them seperately when not training for a fight. on non lifting days, I do plyos. about 4 weeks out from the fight, I do them in conjunction with weights. So, for example, I would do a set of bench presses and immediately follow it with a set of plyometric pushups, creating a superset of the two.

Prior to the fight, you want to raise your limit strength. As the fight gets closer, you want explosiveness. Lower the weight some and superset with plyos.

Hope you dont mind me asking, but where did you learn this method from? Sounds good. I just like to check out my sources before I take something on. Thanks for sharing.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

No, I havent been to any kickboxing gyms that do. I dont know enough about it yet myself. I used to do a little when I was doing wushu, years ago.

Are there any exercises you can recommend that would specificly usefull for kickboxing?

I've heard conflicting views on when to use them too. Some combine them with with heavy weight routines while others advise doing them separately, as a pre comp training exercise, to replace heavy weights. So I've been hesitant to use them until I can find out more reliable info.

I use them seperately when not training for a fight. on non lifting days, I do plyos. about 4 weeks out from the fight, I do them in conjunction with weights. So, for example, I would do a set of bench presses and immediately follow it with a set of plyometric pushups, creating a superset of the two.

Prior to the fight, you want to raise your limit strength. As the fight gets closer, you want explosiveness. Lower the weight some and superset with plyos.

Hope you dont mind me asking, but where did you learn this method from? Sounds good. I just like to check out my sources before I take something on. Thanks for sharing.

I don't blame you. I am the same way. This came from a boxing coach named ross enamait.

http://www.rosstraining.com/

http://www.rossboxing.com/