• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bruce Lee in the UFC

If Bruce Lee was somehow able to come back today, would he stand a chance at a fight in the UFC?

While we're on the subject; what about any of the old legends: Oyama, Ueshiba, Funakoshi, etc?

This is assuming that this person was brought back today in the same condition as they were at their peak and fought with the standard UFC rules against the reigning champions.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Bruce Lee was a mixed martial artist, but the idea of being confined by rules wouldn't sit well with him, IMO. It's hard to imagine him doing something he didn't really believe in.

As for anyone else, the same rules apply to them as anyone else:

OFFICIAL KEYS TO SUCCESS IN MMA

-Knowledge in all 3 types of fighting (free movement, clinch, ground)

-Realistic training methods

-Physical conditioning/nutrition

-Desire, focus, and general mental conditioning

...I think that's about it!

If you neglect any one aspect, you will lose, and the "old legends" are no exception.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

I don't think any of the old legends would do well at high levels, but they might do okay at the lower levels of competition.

Bruce would have to bulk up to even be a lightweight.

Oyama might do fairly well due to his extensive judo experience and obviously high level striking, but it might not be enough for him to stop the wrestlers from taking him down. He might have had more success in K1.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

I think Bruce would do well, because he was very in-tune with current training methods of the time. However, he was an advocate of hitting the eyes, throat, and other soft tissue targets. I am not sure he would compete, however.

I would enjoy seeing Masahiko Kimura against the submission fighters of today who use his namesake technique. It's said Kimura could bench press his bodyweight (@185 lbs) 500 times straight (yikes) and he did 1000 pushups every day. Adept at other arts besides judo, he was a fourth or fifth dan judo blackbelt while still in high school and absolutely terrorized Japan's legions of judoka. He could strike, grapple, and submit with anyone. If not for the Pacific War in WW2, he likely would have decimated his competition even far more thoroughly than he did.

As far as Bruce Lee, I think he'd balk at the low wages paid to UFC fighters, and he'd be more interested in moviemaking as he was when he died. Bruce knew the best way to advance his way was not through fighting in rings or teaching in schools, but capturing the imagination of the public in film. He'd be 65 now, and IMO still a viable movie star even at that age.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I personally feel that all those old-timers, if they lived today and were in there prime, would still be champions this days.. why? because they were champions in there hearts, they have the will and passion, burning competitive spirit and i bet they would have train the methods today MMA fighters train...Didn't Oyama, Kimura, Chuck Norris, Joe Lewis, crosstrained with the tools they have available in there time??? They Did. I bet if Oyama lived today and were in his early or mid 20's per se, he would add to his karate and Judo, some wrestling and muay thai combined with his beast-like physical training, go to the UFC/Pride and he would be a champion today.

I personally feel that all those old-timers, if they lived today and were in there prime, would still be champions this days.. why? because they were champions in there hearts, they have the will and passion, burning competitive spirit and i bet they would have train the methods today MMA fighters train...Didn't Oyama, Kimura, Chuck Norris, Joe Lewis, crosstrained with the tools they have available in there time??? They Did. I bet if Oyama lived today and were in his early or mid 20's per se, he would add to his karate and Judo, some wrestling and muay thai combined with his beast-like physical training, go to the UFC/Pride and he would be a champion today.

I agree.

Bruce Lee was so fast and unpredictable that I don't know if anyone would actually get him to the ground before he hit them a few times about the head and neck. :D

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Bruce was still pretty small though wasn't he?

Most MMA wear gloves too, so his punches wouldn't be as effective..

In his weight division he'd be competitive though..

Keep Smiling!

Bruce was still pretty small though wasn't he?

Most MMA wear gloves too, so his punches wouldn't be as effective..

In his weight division he'd be competitive though..

Bruce could punch through a wall, his punches were so good. I don't think the gloves would hurt him much.