• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Important Questions to Ask a School...

I am pretty sure I'm going to be joining a school nearby rather soon and would like your opinions on the important questions I should ask and what I should pay attention to before joining. Any help would be great.

-Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Before you ask any questions sit down and watch a class from start to end. Pay particular attention to the bearing and professionalism of the instructor. If you like what you see then go ahead and ask some basic questions.

- First thing to check into is whether or not you have to sign a contract mandating you to pay regardless of any circumstances like you quitting. If so, move on.

- Ask about all the fees, i.e. uniform, belts, gradings, seminars. Compare these to fees of other nearby schools, even post them on this forum if you think they're too high, in order to compare. If the fees are way too numerous (e.g. $15 for a belt, which you get every month) then think about moving on.

- Ask about belt/ranking structure. A standard school is most likely going to have 5-8 belts. A school with a lot of belts, belts with stripes, and a lot of strange rankings/colours may be a bad idea.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Cathal has it down. Those are all good questions to ask. My main sticking point is always with the instructor. That is the most important part of the school.

:) Your welcome. Let us know how it goes.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Also, try to avoid schools that have something like Blackbelt Academy in their name, or at least something to the effect. That more than often is indicative of a McDojo.

"You all come from different instructors, so as I look around the room I may see many different

ways of preforming this kata, however, if you are turning left and I turn right, we have a problem."

-Renshi Thomas Apsokardu (Godan, Okinawa Kenpo Karate Kobudo Koryu Kan)

Matthew Sullivan

something I like to do is do some research into the art they're teaching. Then ask them about it and see how what you've learned matches up. A good instructor should know at least the basics of history about their art.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Also, try to avoid schools that have something like Blackbelt Academy in their name, or at least something to the effect. That more than often is indicative of a McDojo.

I personally dis agree with that. I don't think the name means a lot. We had a lot of trouble thinking for a name for our club. At the end of the day, it's just a name, give them a chance.

Some things to check.... (from my website https://www.aacd.info)

How do I know a good school from a bad one?

Good schools often are recognised by a governing body. Look for someone that has affiliations and check their references. Any good school will be happy for you to attend a class to have a look and chat with them with no commitment to training. When choosing a school, remember you are investing in the service of the instructors, so speak to the person who will be teaching you and find out about them (how long they have been training etc) Remember, each school is different, so have a good look and find one that is right for you. Check their qualifications such as coaching, and first aid. Also, ensure the club has insurance for you.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Before you ask any questions sit down and watch a class from start to end. Pay particular attention to the bearing and professionalism of the instructor. If you like what you see then go ahead and ask some basic questions.

- First thing to check into is whether or not you have to sign a contract mandating you to pay regardless of any circumstances like you quitting. If so, move on.

- Ask about all the fees, i.e. uniform, belts, gradings, seminars. Compare these to fees of other nearby schools, even post them on this forum if you think they're too high, in order to compare. If the fees are way too numerous (e.g. $15 for a belt, which you get every month) then think about moving on.

- Ask about belt/ranking structure. A standard school is most likely going to have 5-8 belts. A school with a lot of belts, belts with stripes, and a lot of strange rankings/colours may be a bad idea.

Great post. I couldn't have said it better or more succinctly.

:karate:

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu