• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't like chest protectors!

I think that I may need to get a size smaller chest protector, so that I can move in it better. I am not worried so much about taking a shot, because I can block pretty well. I just need to be able to move and attack, or I will be doing is defending.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh, in Seiei Kan Karate we didn't use them, but we didn't fight full contact, and that was much more comfortable.

In TKD we used them, but it was Olympic TKD, so it was a sport anyway, and so practitionars just had to get used to it like in football or hockey.

In Kajukenbo, we fight closer to full contact, and, given the proper angle, it can only take 5 lbs of pressure to break a floating rib (and we do lots of "dirty" strikes such as to the floating ribs). Soooo, some do, some don't. I try to make them :) (They are mostly only 8 months into training)

So, good for you, since sometimes to effectively to a "finishing" technique, you have to absorb a strike or two, but yes, quite annoying anyway.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Personally, I do not like wearing a chest protector. But, I do like to see my two sons wear chest protectors during tournaments. The TKD protectors the tournaments officials supply are bulky and get in the way. I did find a new chest protector that works a lot better. Its called the Martial Armor Vest and I found it at Century. It looks like something Spiderman would wear but both my sons like it a lot better than the standard TKD chest ptotectors. Its thin pad and wears like a shirt. It wouldnt completely protect you from a rocking force kick or punch, but it provides good protection from sparring partners whose control is questionable. Hope this helps.

http://www.centuryfitness.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&productId=89077&langId=-1&product_parentId=13628&crumb=13501&categoryId=13628&parent_category_rn=13519

here they are- look good... as long as you are male :)

there are also some similar less bulky foot pads I saw too.

OH, and I totally agree- I'd maybe rather not wear one, myself, but when the boys don't (the college students that we teach) I kinda slip into baby-sitter mode, so I do to set a good example :)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I had seen them before, but I just wasn't too sure about how they felt. In TKD, we take some good contact from time to time, so I didn't know if they give the same protection as the chest protectors.

I think that they make shin and forearm protectors as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I never have and hopefully never will

the best fight is one that doesnt happen