• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When do people quit most?

I think folks sometimes leave at 1st Dan because either there isn't a "continuation cirriculum" in place after 1st dan. This was the case at my 1st school.

I agree here.

I have trained in 5 Martial arts (Shotokan, Poekoelan (kung-fu), Aiki-Jujitsu, Kobudo, and BJJ). The only one that ever put any emphasis on training beyond black belt was Poekoelan! From day one our sifu pointed out that black belt should not be the goal. Most of the students who did earn black belt (sash actually) went on at least to earn 2nd degree.

On the contrary, in the Japanese/Okinawan systems, focus was always working toward that black belt. Besides myself and 4 others out of 50 or so promoted to black none went on to second degree.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think folks sometimes leave at 1st Dan because either there isn't a "continuation cirriculum" in place after 1st dan. This was the case at my 1st school.

I agree here.

I have trained in 5 Martial arts (Shotokan, Poekoelan (kung-fu), Aiki-Jujitsu, Kobudo, and BJJ). The only one that ever put any emphasis on training beyond black belt was Poekoelan! From day one our sifu pointed out that black belt should not be the goal. Most of the students who did earn black belt (sash actually) went on at least to earn 2nd degree.

On the contrary, in the Japanese/Okinawan systems, focus was always working toward that black belt. Besides myself and 4 others out of 50 or so promoted to black none went on to second degree.

Now that is very interesting to learn! In our Shotokan system we're informed that the black belt isn't "it". It is where we will step off to truly begin understanding Karate.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

The problem with hitting black belt, and realizing that there are just more forms waiting, is that most people think they know all of the techniques, and have them perfected, so they just stop, thinking that it will stay with them.

The problem with hitting black belt, and realizing that there are just more forms waiting, is that most people think they know all of the techniques, and have them perfected, so they just stop, thinking that it will stay with them.

This is very true. Its like the "wise old man" who trains the new student in the movies, but never trains, himself. Yeah, I wanna be that guy, too. :D

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

This is very true. Its like the "wise old man" who trains the new student in the movies, but never trains, himself. Yeah, I wanna be that guy, too. :D

Its the American Dream, isn't it? :)

Actually I think the American Dream involves a silver platter, or a white picket fence, one or the other... :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Actually I think the American Dream involves a silver platter, or a white picket fence, one or the other... :)

Yes, a BB (complete w/ the wisdom of the MA ages) on a silver platter delivered to the door of your white picket fence house. Isn't America great. :D

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I agree here.

I wrote this above but was interrupted and didn't get a chance to finish.

I tried several times to get a black belt class started but found little interest. It's almost like people just wanted to earn a black belt. I'm sure if our Sensei had recognized that was their only goal...they never would have reached it.

Amazingly, everytime someone earned their shodan, Sensei was sure to say, "now you can begin to learn karate." But no BB classes ever existed. You just had to keep coming to regular classes and every once in a while Sensei would take you aside and teach you something new. Eventually he put me onto one of his instructors. That's where I learned most of my stuff after shodan. I guess it was a loyalty thing for him. Kinda like he was just weeding people out. [/b]

I agree this is a fundamental problem.