• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't think I remember mentioning that I thought capoiera practitioners do cartwheels. I was just mentioning that I could not even do a cartwheel in the idea of how physically fit and amazing these individuals are who do practice. Meaning that I am not sure I could do capoiera.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I remember mentioning that I thought capoiera practitioners do cartwheels. I was just mentioning that I could not even do a cartwheel in the idea of how physically fit and amazing these individuals are who do practice. Meaning that I am not sure I could do capoiera.

Among people I know/have known who do just fine, thank you very much, in Capoeira are included a 70 year old woman, and a couple people with "beer bellies". Quit mythologizing people.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• 1 year later...
ok, I do Goju ryu karate as my base style. However I recently started Capoeira, So I want to know your opinions on this. Personally I think they both help each other out.

i have done both , and i think it is great to have a mixture , the stedyness of karate and the smoothness of capoeira.

I think that there is no 1 style , and that to truly become a great martial artist and person you must take information from where ever you can.

ok, I do Goju ryu karate as my base style. However I recently started Capoeira, So I want to know your opinions on this. Personally I think they both help each other out.

I agree.

• 1 month later...

I've done several MA forms since starting in '59. I retired after teaching capoeira angola awhile.

First of all, there can be seen a lot of acrobatics in regional style but I didn't see this in Angola. Angola as I saw it is a lot like Silat.

In Angola we used whatever we used, including carying a razor in our shoe for street use.

I taught my guys how to just use the Ginga to wear an opponent down (They had to be able to do one hour Ginga before learning anything else. High, medio, Low) They learned to do what I guess I'd call standard Angola, and then how to use every part of their body as a tool when needed. My classes were free and taught in the Barrio. So my guys were used to the street. My guys fought in a roda against a Regional teacher with 10 yrs expereince...and several of them knocked him down at least once, and I would stand there and let him kick me because his kick was for show but had no power in it.

My opinion based on 45 plus years in the MAs world is that capoeira Angola is a great exercise, and a lot of fun to sing and play. If you already know at least one MA it is easy to combine the two.

Oh, don't mistake Capoeira as played when in practice for what the same guy might do in the street. 2 very different arts.

• 5 months later...

I was able to watch some capoeira moves and demo's last year and let me just say my mouth was hanging open. I could have stayed there all day and watched this group perform. It was awesome!

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert