• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Has anybody tried to sharpen their own sword?

And if so, how do you do it? Does a regular knife sharpener work? I've got a broadsword that's rapidly going dull, and I want to spice it up a wee bit - last time I hit myself in the foot, I only cut myself a little bit...didn't even need any stitches... :( :brow:

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Don't have one, so I don't have any experience here. However, I think you may want to look into getting a wetstone, and use some kind of oil. You should be able to Google something on Katana care or something like that. The book I have recommends clove oil.

I have an old bayonet that has a case and looks like a sword. We tried using a knife sharpener, it didn't work too well. If you use a knife sharpener, you're going to have to grind away at it for a while. Your best bet would be to go to a sword supply store or something like that and ask their advice specifically about your broadsword.

Good luck

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Thanks, guys!

Ed Parker

it depends how much you care about your weapon. i'd recommend getting instruction from an expert if you want to do it properly, but you can probably get the job done reasonable well on your own.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

I had to get some of my hunting knives and an axe sharpened a while ago. Looked up sharpening in the phone book. 5 miles, $20, and 24 hours later, that axe was the most intimidating thing in my basement. BEYOND razor sharp. Good old flywheels lol.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

I sharpened a lawn mower blade once and after that point (what I did to it) That is one reason that I agree with Alsey I would be afraid to even try to sharpen a good sword blade. Someday, I may learn. I would think that there is specific procedure for getting it done right

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

A pro sounds like the right way to go.

Ed Parker

And if so, how do you do it? Does a regular knife sharpener work? I've got a broadsword that's rapidly going dull, and I want to spice it up a wee bit - last time I hit myself in the foot, I only cut myself a little bit...didn't even need any stitches... :( :brow:

Depending on the metal type depends on how you sharpen it. If it has been heat treated you might be screwed but a treated blade should not dull under normal use. Also if it is a wall hanger sword it would be a bad idea to even try it.

I seem to recall there is an actual art to the cleaning and sharpening of swords. Maybe not but....

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt