• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate and chi

KarateKid7

One example that comes to mind is the "moving chi" employed in kata such as sanchin and tensho and Iv even heard links between chi gung and seienchin. Less obscurely, the Kiai is a release of built up chi.

-- Coming from a CMA background I can tell you qigong is separate & not part of a form. General characteristics of qigong are simple repetitve motions or stationary postures that are held for periods of time. Correct breathing is also of great importance.

Could the advanced practioners of karate in this forum give me any iadvice into implementing chi (visualisation, breathing) into kumite and kata training.

-- Qigong is best learned by your Sensei/Sifu. It will be a waste of training time if done wrong.

For example do people who cross train between chigung/qi gong and karate imagine chi flowing through their gyakazuki punches and uraken when training? Any comments would be gratefully welcomed.

-- A focused mind will always benefit technique.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First off, how old are you. You should not be training Sanchin until 16 or 17 years of age. Until then you should focus on coordinating your breathing with movement, make it smooth and flowing. I had the honor to train with Morio Higaonna Sensei on Sanchin and you truly need a highly knowledgeable sensei for correct training. Great exercises to prepare you for true karate training is do you jun bi undo and hojo undo on a regular basis. It will help you understand what Sanchin can do for you. Do not let anyone fool you either, Sanchin is the foundation for developing ttrue Karate power. Good Luck, Don

pain is weakness leaving the body.....moo ichi do.......A black belt is a white belt that did not give up.

Appreciate everyones comments.

Train Hard.

Osu.

"Life is a journey, not a destination"

"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless"

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do"

• 3 weeks later...

My opinions:

Ki (or chi) will develop over time. I feel it flow through my body every time I perform kata. Correct and dedicated practice of kata will eventually lead to development of ki. There are a lot of things to take into account, including your stance, posture, movement, and proper meridian alignment that must happen before you feel this energy source.

"On Ko Chi Shin"

I'll go into a little more detail about the meridian (blood vessel) channels. here's one example: The conception vessel meridian channel runs from the lower extrimities of the body up the front in a straight line to your bottom lip and the governing vessel meridian channel starts at the very end of your tailbone and travels up your back, over your head to the inside of your mouth. this you are probably aware of if ever having studied pressure point manipulation. anyway, with correct posture and stance, these meridians specifically should form a straight line, thus delivering maximum blood and oxygen flow. hence the term I used as meridian alignment. hope this clarifies.

"On Ko Chi Shin"

Ah K, I see what you are getting at.

Opening up the blood vessels thus allowing the best blood flow which would then increase the oxygen to the muscles therefore increasing their potential.

Is that about right?

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.