• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate and chi

KarateKid7

Could anyone give me some brief insight into the link between karate and chi.

One example that comes to mind is the "moving chi" employed in kata such as sanchin and tensho and Iv even heard links between chi gung and seienchin. Less obscurely, the Kiai is a release of built up chi.

Could the advanced practioners of karate in this forum give me any advice into implementing chi (visualisation, breathing) into kumite and kata training.

For example do people who cross train between chigung/qi gong and karate imagine chi flowing through their gyakazuki punches and uraken when training?

Any comments would be gratefully welcomed.

"Life is a journey, not a destination"

"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless"

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do"

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

As far as visualization goes just fire up your imagination. For me, when I am in a stance, I am ripping the earth apart between my legs, and when i throw the punch my fist extends like a laser beam, breaking through the wall, the building, the cars outside, forever. My downward block cuts the floor in half. My toes rip the mats apart. Every ounce of energy extends through to the smallest point of impact, exploding from my fist like a blast from mega-man's rifle arm.

I don't know how to train for it other than to just try and do it. Sync it up with your breathing, with the image of your power being light, and shooting the light out of your body. Slow everything down and feel all the tension in your body at the point of impact, all your kime, and have your focus be at the point of impact. Like your whole being belongs on top of your first two knuckles. For me, this is what karate is all about, the ultimate focus and transfer of energy, with all your body and spirit behind it. Into one single moment of perfection, followed by another and another. Constantly expanding and contracting. Extending your power and gathering it up again.

I don't know if this answers your question. But I hope it helps if you try it.

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

your response provided me with the right sort of insight i was looking for - some of which makes sense as my sensei is always hinting very obscurely at some of the things you shed light on. thank you. osu.

By the way, Karate practitioners generally don't refer to it as Chi because that is the Chinese term.

They usually refer to it a Ki or Zanchin. :karate:

(same thing though) :D

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

friend just as you humbly intended to point out that karatekas refer it to as chi, for your benefit also, I think you will find that Ki and Zanchin are not one and the same. Osu

I find it easier to break boards and ice slabs if I can visualize energy "Chi/Ki" built up in my index and middle knuckles, and when knifehand (karate chop), visualizing it built up along the edge of my hand. maybe it's just a mental thing, not sure.

A New Age Dawns