• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

why dont WTF TKD artist keep their hands up!???

Do you do TKD and keep your hands up during sparring?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you do TKD and keep your hands up during sparring?

• yes
    • no

I totally agree with the hands up policy. That is the way we train at my dojang. My instructor has an emphasis on self defense, even when we spar. Our sparring is "hands up" and we'll get it pointed out to us if we don't. We also tend to do a bit more punching than I understand most TKD schools do. We also practice blocking. It does you no good in the real world to not know how to effectively block someone's attack, be it kick or punch.

Sure, we may not do things the olympic style, but at least one has a better chance of successfully defending oneself in the real world. :)

My instructor likes to emphasize "follow ups," regardless of whether it's a kick or punch, doing something beyond just one technique when sparring or in self defense.

what goes around, comes around

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I train WTF TKD and we keep our hands up - get a telling off and press-ups if we don't. :D

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 2 weeks later...

I trained in WTF long ago. I had to move, so I joined traditional TKD (my instructor doesn't follow WTF or ITF or anything else). Both styles tell me to keep my hands up during sparring. I got this bad habit of keeping my hands down, but so far I still manage to block and counter incoming attacks with my hands down. Maybe I just need someone to 'remind' me with a tap to the face or something. Sadly, the two best fighters in the dojo only come once in a while (not even once every 3 months). My instructor says he will spar me once he gets new equipments, looking forward to that. :P

• 4 weeks later...

I think most TKDer's are hands up, at our dojang upon our instructors command, we yell 'WE LIKE OUR NOSES!!!!!!" it's probably weird to people coming in or just watching, but as you know a kick to the nose can clear the sinuses for days or bloody it. We do punch alot too, mostly backfist,reverse punch,jab, hook.. I started going to a Gojo fight class on Fridays and learned to punch faster and harder so TKD is an awesome art either way but more effective without a broken nose :D

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

“AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

Nike Ad.

I'd have to agree with the other people on here. Nearly every clip you see is of a competition and for competition training and if it doesn't score, why bother wasting your effort?

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

hands up majority of the time, at least 1 anyway. sometimes i try to draw in by openeing up but not often.

Now you use head for something other than target.