• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Progressive Kenpo

sniper03

hello all.. I just started taking progressive kenpo karate i am 32 from new hampshire, I am also a former us marine where the close combat training was more judo and jujitsu style (more killing moves then anything) has anyone out there taking or have studied any "progressive" styles??

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey Sniper:

Welcome to KF. Many of us take Ken(m)po and most of the styles that I am familiar with are progressive and changing, especially to the individual. Can you tell us a little more specifically what the roots are for your system and then I think that we could find a few members that are in simular styles.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

hello thanks for the reply. Well being new again becomes that greater of a handicap, Sensei Lapanne teaches a hybrid Kenpo with his roots deriving from shaolin kenpo. I have attended one class ( the free one) and really think it is going to blend well with the military training that i have also. Any pointers on how i am going to progress( how quickly) I can climb the ranks???

sniper03.

I have been taking Shaolin Kempo for about 6 years.

It is a great style. you won't be disapointed!!!

I would not worry so much about belt rank, but what you can learn from your instructor each class.

Good Luck with your training.

Fear does not exist in this Dojo, does it! No Sensai!!!

Pain does not exist in this Dojo, does it! No Sensai!!!

Honestly, I don't really think too much of belts and ranks. For the most part, no 2 schools have the same rank structures. Not to offend anyone, but it's more of a marketing ploy nowadays. Don't get me wrong, some schools are REALLY good about their rank structures...but others hand them out like water...while others give them out depending on how much money they're paid. Like tke010 said, don't think about gaining ranks/belts... think about your training.

Is this progressive American Kenpo, or just Kenpo in general?

Could you explain to me what defines progressive, other than mixing in another style, or is that it?

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker