Cocky Martial Artist

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had the opportunity to meet several hundred martial artists through seminars, gradings, etc and I can safely say I have yet to meet someone who is cocky enough to say something like that.

Most likely you got some stupid kid who wanted to stir some stuff up with you.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I have had the opportunity to meet several hundred martial artists through seminars, gradings, etc and I can safely say I have yet to meet someone who is cocky enough to say something like that.

Most likely you got some stupid kid who wanted to stir some stuff up with you.

I am glad to hear you have not experienced that yet in all the events you have partipated in. I personally have seen to much of it.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

You raise a fantastic point that I come across fairly regularly. People think that being compitant in their art means they are a compitant all round fighter or worse still that they are invincible.

To all people in martial arts, I have a message. Never are we training to be able to always defend ourselves. To expect that, we are expecting the impossible. We are simply training to increase our chances of such.

Expecting the impossible, ruins our defence because we reduce our awareness and therefore ability to re-act. A martial artist who is full of himself has less chance of defending himself as a cautious person with no training at all.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

No art and no fighter is invincible. I could get my tail handed to me by a green belt if I'm not careful, and I know some 5th and 6th dans of various styles that I can wipe up the floor with, and even that isn't for sure given a particular time, day, and situation.

Though there are those who say cockiness is a sign of insecurity, I actually believe it is a sign of ignorance. One who has truly experienced or is at least consciously aware of the physical danger that exists at the hands of others will never be overconfident in any situation nor with any particular martial style.

With respect,

Sohan

Good post my friend....

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

You gotta remember you're on the interweb out there, so there's a feeling of safe anonimity, especially in a huge site like youtube. I wouldn't worry about the "u r t3h suck" comments.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I know my brother is a cocky martial artist he thinks he martial art is a greatest art of all and he thinks the Goju ryu armor is that tough and he thinks he can beat anyone, anytime, and anywhere u dont know how much i would luv to thai kick him rite to the face.

makes me mad thinkin about it

Edited by Punishment224

Fighting is my talent

My friend Rob probably has the worst attitude of any human being I've ever met. If he gets really cornered in an arguement he goes as far as to pull "well my guy goes back in time and kills your guy" type childish stuff. Stuff that gets under your skin. When he spars, he doesn't spar, it's like he's fighting to PROVE something, he opens up 100% with NO control. One day I got fed up with his attitude during a sparring session, I opened up on him, and he fell right on his tailbone. I stopped the heel of my foot an inch away from his nose and said "my guy goes back in time and kicks yours in the face, I win". He hasn't trash talked me since.

Gotta put em in their place.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

My friend Rob probably has the worst attitude of any human being I've ever met. If he gets really cornered in an arguement he goes as far as to pull "well my guy goes back in time and kills your guy" type childish stuff. Stuff that gets under your skin. When he spars, he doesn't spar, it's like he's fighting to PROVE something, he opens up 100% with NO control. One day I got fed up with his attitude during a sparring session, I opened up on him, and he fell right on his tailbone. I stopped the heel of my foot an inch away from his nose and said "my guy goes back in time and kicks yours in the face, I win". He hasn't trash talked me since.

Gotta put em in their place.

I hate it when it comes to sceanarios like this in class, but sometimes, it just has to be done.

A lot of martial artists can be assummed cocky but you need to know how much confidence you should walk around with and not to much that people just want to deck you. Also i know a lot of martial artists who are like that because of their sensei. Some senseis speak about their experiences and what they can do in life that other people can't or aren't allowed to like my friend's teacher can kill a person so he says and i had one of my senseis boast so much i needed to leave endless stories of how he beat Billy Blanks the taebo guy it reminded me of that movie Sidekicks where the sensei was obsessed with beating Norris.