• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey guys,

Seems like we're getting off topic. :-D This thread is to discuss the real accomplishments of Mr. Norris, specifically a black belt in BJJ. The Norris jokes should be left off. :) Check this thread for that.

Thanks! :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I concur with the last statement.

Chuck on many levels, knows his stuff.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

• 1 month later...

I haven't posted in a while, but from what I have read and learned about the Brazilian style of Jiu Jitsu, to hold the rank of black belt is among the highest of prestige, and signifies that the holder is completely competent to perform the moves he/she has learned as well as being fully qualified to teach them.

An honorary black belt would normally be given to someone who has extensive experience in a somewhat similar art. For instance a well experience black belt in Chung Do Kwan (non-olympic) Tae Kwon Do, being awared an honorary black belt in Shotokan Karate after learning the differences between the two, such as the terminology and theory.

this is from carlos machado's site:

"While in Brazil, he has successfully competed in several tournaments at state and national level. In April of 1990 he decided to move to Los Angeles, California, pursuing more prospects in his martial arts career. There he met martial arts movie star Chuck Norris, who was instrumental in promoting Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and his family. Since then, Mr. Norris has been one of the greatest advocates of Machado Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Carlos lived in Los Angeles until end of 1995, when once more he chose to move to the Southwest, to the city of Dallas, Texas. There he established his first location, at the same building were the Chuck Norris' TV show "Walker, Texas Ranger" was filmed. That allowed Carlos not only to teach at his studio, but also to take part in many episodes of that popular show. He often assisted on choreographing fight scenes with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. "

However, I thought norris was only a brown belt under him.

this is from carlos machado's site:

"While in Brazil, he has successfully competed in several tournaments at state and national level. In April of 1990 he decided to move to Los Angeles, California, pursuing more prospects in his martial arts career. There he met martial arts movie star Chuck Norris, who was instrumental in promoting Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and his family. Since then, Mr. Norris has been one of the greatest advocates of Machado Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Carlos lived in Los Angeles until end of 1995, when once more he chose to move to the Southwest, to the city of Dallas, Texas. There he established his first location, at the same building were the Chuck Norris' TV show "Walker, Texas Ranger" was filmed. That allowed Carlos not only to teach at his studio, but also to take part in many episodes of that popular show. He often assisted on choreographing fight scenes with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. "

However, I thought norris was only a brown belt under him.

Very cool info. On the back of Black Belt Juijitsu, written by Machado, is a little quote by Norris. Wikipedia stated he was a black belt.

chuck norris didnt train, he just looked at the syllabus and it changed to stuff he knew already

:D

Now you use head for something other than target.

chuck norris didnt train, he just looked at the syllabus and it changed to stuff he knew already

:D

Funny! :)

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu