1. 1. What style of TKD do you do?

• ATA
    • WTF
    • ITF
    • ATU
    • TAGB
    • ITU
    • I dont take TKD

It's ok, most TKD folks don't know their Kwan lineage anyway. When the WTF "swallowed" them all to make the WTF, a lot of instructors stoped caring about it.

Fortunately my current Master Instructor is very proud of his lineage and this is one of the first things he talked about when interviewing me as a new student. One of the precepts of his system is to "revere your ancestors".

8)

That's great that your Master does that. My 1st instructor (a Korean) only said, "TKD is 2000 years old." & that he trained at Oh San Air Force Base in Chung Do Kwan. My current instructor goes into great detail about the heritage. Its really great!

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm WTF TKD. For competition fighting, we do Olympic sparring, as well as stop-start points sparring and continuous sparring where punching is encouraged, unlike Olympic rules. I think we're pretty unusual, I've not heard of many WTF clubs who spar regularly using 3 different rule sets. Most just stick to the Olympic rules. We also do a lot of weapons work, as well as self-defence and knife-defence.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

You asked what 'style' we practice, but the list you gave are federation names, and don't encompass all styles as such. The WTF is connected to at least 9 core kwans (schools) which all had their own philosophies and technical differences, for example. There are also 'styles' such as Tang Soo Do which are offshoots. Sorry to add to the confusion... :wink:

There are no limits.

http://taekwondodiaries.blogspot.com

^^*

I'm WTF TKD. For competition fighting, we do Olympic sparring, as well as stop-start points sparring and continuous sparring where punching is encouraged, unlike Olympic rules. I think we're pretty unusual, I've not heard of many WTF clubs who spar regularly using 3 different rule sets.

Recently our school (WTF) sent some students to the Jr. Olympics in Atlanta. While we do emphasize Olympic Style at our school, when compared to schools that adhere strictly to the "sport" aspects, we more resemble "continuous point sparring". Our students brought back two silver's in sparring...maybe not as fast but effective-none-the-less.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• 1 month later...

My school is WTF, with a strong Moo Duk Kwan (military form TKD) influence. My instructor taught TKD in the Korean military for 8 years before moving to the US. He teaches us olympic style sparring in a separate sparring class once a week, and we do a lot of free sparring in class, light contact with no pads. The light contact isn't WTF rules, it's free for all, grappling and everything included. It's good to practice this way to help prep for the ramdomness of a street fight.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

My school is WTF, with a strong Moo Duk Kwan (military form TKD) influence. My instructor taught TKD in the Korean military for 8 years before moving to the US. He teaches us olympic style sparring in a separate sparring class once a week, and we do a lot of free sparring in class, light contact with no pads. The light contact isn't WTF rules, it's free for all, grappling and everything included. It's good to practice this way to help prep for the ramdomness of a street fight.

My TSD dojang was like that (sparring). It was basically a free-for-all, like you said. That was fun. We do grapple at my dojang now, but not as much as I like. We do point sparring for tournies, but in class, it's basically continuous point sparring, as Heidi put it.

Laurie F