• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

first tournament any help

karate kid 1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes. If you're entering in a kata division, do not show any sign that you messed up. Look confident. If you do make a mistake, do not start over. Continue as though nothing happened. Take your time. Prove to them that you have control.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

If you are competing in kumite...relax, stay calm and have fun. Remember your basics and count heavily on them. Good luck

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

If you're doing kata, try practicing the kata facing different directions. There's no knowing where the judges will be and you won't believe how many people can only preform a kata facing one specific direction. Don't go into the tournament with any expectations and you'll come out fine.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

For Kata competitions, the timing and proper use of your hips is important. Like lordtariel mentioned, keep practicing your kata at different angles in a room. For sparring be patient and make sure your techniques are crisp. Some sparring competitions also prefer that you block and then immediately counter rather than block/counter simultaneously.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Wow, it depends on the organiation hosting the tournament (seems to have different rules for each organization) and what you plan on doing. I've done some sparring in competitions and have noticed that alot of the people I fought, showed very little practical technique and would try to score a point doing some of the most rediculous things I have ever seen. Be on your toes, they love to jump and try to pop you on top of the head, remember the basics and if you can get a head shot, it seems to throw them off.

Okay... Your first tournament; you're bound to be very anxious and nervous (I was for my first one too! ;))

Kata - Be relaxed, repeat it/them like you would do for your gradings... Have a good stance, good power... And where it needs it; timing. If you do perfect timing between moves (speed parts up etc) then that shows! :nod:

Team Kata - Try and make a noise that is obvious (not to the judges; like a stamping kick at a certain part) for you to know where you are meant to be! (Got me so far? :lol:)

Kumite - Make you sure you know space awareness... When you do a punch, make sure it is controlled contact, and Kiai! and don't leave it there either! Bring it back and see if the judge allows the point!

Hope that helps! Don't worry; do your best. You're bound to be nervous... Enjoy it! Its your first one! ;) :)

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

Good luck. The advice above is excellent. Make sure to tell us how it goes.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."