• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Japanese vs english in training

mid life crisis

Just because a style is taught completely in English doesn't mean it is watered down.

Let's use boxing as an example. Do all of the countries that train in boxing use the words jab, cross, hook, and uppercut? Probably not. They probably use the equivalent word from their language.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth, I teach Hispanic children that speak little English, so I have to teach them the techniques in Spanish and Japanese, THEN I have to teach the rest of the kids with English as well. So we have at least 3 languages floating around. Makes for an interesting class!

With respect,

Sohan

That sounds extremely cool Sohan.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Just because a style is taught completely in English doesn't mean it is watered down.

Let's use boxing as an example. Do all of the countries that train in boxing use the words jab, cross, hook, and uppercut? Probably not. They probably use the equivalent word from their language.

Actually, a lot of countries do say "jab, cross". In Thailand for instance I can often hear "jab, cross, hook, uppercut". I have also heard the same in Japan.

I'd also like to add if you don't know the Japanese terminology you're not doing Japanese Karate anymore. That's what I mean by "watered down". Am I saying you can't fight? No, not at all. I am saying you don't do Japanese karate, though.(If you trained for a few years or more)

I know many Americanized schools that don't know the Japanese terminology will sometimes claim to be american/japanese or something along these lines. I mean, I guess you could say that but why? Saying you're a Japanese style and not knowing the terminology seems silly to me.

My first instructor didn't use the terminology and when he did it was incorrect. He made claims thats were ridiculous such as teachign a sister style of Shotokan but he didn't teach kata at all. It was glorified street fighting and thats it. I added the terminology and kata to the cirriculum to give his claim creditbility. The fact of the matter is if you are teaching a asian martial art even if founded in the USA but its still japanese or okinawan style karate the terminology should be used.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

I like using the Japanese terminology because it means the students approach it with a more open mind. For example the usual (mis)translation of uke is "block", when in actual fact it means to receive.

If we call it block then most students will only ever see it as that, rather than as a strike or a throw, or the other myriad of uses the technique may have.

On the whole I think the Japanese is more descriptive.

However I will admit that it can be overdone, and speaking with a pseudo-Japanese accent is just weird!

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Actually, a lot of countries do say "jab, cross". In Thailand for instance I can often hear "jab, cross, hook, uppercut". I have also heard the same in Japan.

I'd also like to add if you don't know the Japanese terminology you're not doing Japanese Karate anymore. That's what I mean by "watered down". Am I saying you can't fight? No, not at all. I am saying you don't do Japanese karate, though.(If you trained for a few years or more)

I know many Americanized schools that don't know the Japanese terminology will sometimes claim to be american/japanese or something along these lines. I mean, I guess you could say that but why? Saying you're a Japanese style and not knowing the terminology seems silly to me.

Well, that's cool. I learned something new.

However, I don't believe that if you use English that it makes it an American style. What you want to hold to are the training methods, not the language it is taught in.

As I have mentioned earlier, mine is a Korean style, and we do use the Korean terminology. So, I do know the terminology. So, does this mean I am not practicing Americanized TKD? I am not sure about that. When I was in the ATA, I learned everything in English, except for the commands to attention, bow, ready, etc. Techniques were discussed in English. Then, I came to my current TKD association, and learned the Korean words for basic techniques. However, the techniques did not change in and of themselves. There were some style differences, of course, but other than that, I don't feel that I went through any change, or that I was learning authentic Korean style as opposed to an Americanized style.

I've been lucky enough to be offered a few trips to Japan for business. With a little planning, I was able to train in both Kobe and at the JKA headquarters in Tokyo. I can assure you they did not repeat their instruction in English! It would have been pretty embarassing were I not able to understand the basic Japanese callouts (it was stressful enough just trying to make sure my techniques were sharp). Overall, it was an awesome experience - and you never know when a chance like this could come up for you. Why not just make the extra little effort to learn the original names? Will it give you better technique - debatable. Will it make you a more informed and well rounded kareteka? For sure. Just do it!!

For what it's worth, I teach Hispanic children that speak little English, so I have to teach them the techniques in Spanish and Japanese, THEN I have to teach the rest of the kids with English as well. So we have at least 3 languages floating around. Makes for an interesting class!

With respect,

Sohan

That sounds extremely cool Sohan.

Yeah, not to mention the kids we have that speak Farsi, Hindi, Portugese, French, and Russian. Thank goodness they speak decent English or I'd be in big trouble!

:)

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu