• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Japanese vs english in training

mid life crisis

I have no problems with learning Japanese or Korean names, in my case, for techniques, but I just don't think it is necessary.

I have said my peace. :D

I agree that it isn't STRICTLY necessary, but is most certainly practical, useful and respectful, and in the vast majority of cases the only thing that is stopping martial artists who don't learn the Japanese etc. is laziness, rather than anything else, although I'm sure that isn't the case with you and I'm sure you're well armed with all the correct terminology.

Osu :karate:

I know most of the terminology used in my classes, but I have noticed that in different sources there are different words for the same techniques. In the ATA books, the techniques are different than in the TSD book that I have, and different than the Kukkiwon Textbook that I have, and those are all different than the terminology that we use in our class. To me, English is just as useful, and less confusing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problems with learning Japanese or Korean names, in my case, for techniques, but I just don't think it is necessary.

I have said my peace. :D

I agree that it isn't STRICTLY necessary, but is most certainly practical, useful and respectful, and in the vast majority of cases the only thing that is stopping martial artists who don't learn the Japanese etc. is laziness, rather than anything else, although I'm sure that isn't the case with you and I'm sure you're well armed with all the correct terminology.

Osu :karate:

I know most of the terminology used in my classes, but I have noticed that in different sources there are different words for the same techniques. In the ATA books, the techniques are different than in the TSD book that I have, and different than the Kukkiwon Textbook that I have, and those are all different than the terminology that we use in our class. To me, English is just as useful, and less confusing.

I'm sorry to hear you've got confusing terminology in your class. I must say, this isn't really a problem I've come across in Shotokan, apart from the fact that some books use more extensive terminology than other books eg. will put the whole description in Japanese rather than just the technique name in Japanese.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

We use both Japanese and English terminology in our dojos. For the beginner-intermediate classes we use the Japanese words followed up by the English translation so as not to confuse the newer students too much. In the advanced classes we solely use Japanese terminology.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

yeah my sensei uses the japanese then to english with the kids and with the beginner adults etc, and in the advanced classes which are small cause its mostly just the orignals in our dojo, its all japanese

Osu

Here is a problem that I just realized with using Japanese and or Korean in our training, and when we speak about our styles. I, as a Korean stylist, don't understand what you are saying as a Japanese stylist. It is all good when you are talking to other karateka or TKDers, but what about when we want to get together? Then, I think English could come in very handy.

I am talking about when the worlds get together to collaborate. English would be better than the Korean trying to figure out what the Japanese is saying.

I would have to agree with those that have argued the point about Karate and Sensei not being English words, if you want to use only English in your training then do just that. I do personally believe that the traditional language of a martial art is an important part of the tradition for that art as a whole and those who wish to not use (or learn) their arts native language are to some extent missing some of the tradition of that art.

As has been said in this thread already translating Japanese into English correctly is difficult but that's not a good reason not to use it. I'm sure most would agree that few of us do martial arts because it is easy. I have read a number of times in this forum that people believe the Japanese language is often mistranslated and misunderstood (I agree), but I believe one of the objectives of a truly traditional martial artist is to seek out these mistranslations and rectify them. Some things need to change and some things need to stay the same, the individual will decide what falls where.

I personally use as much Japanese as I can, and strive every day to gain a better understanding of it as I see this as another doorway into the philosophy of Karate-do. I do get concerned sometimes by schools that seem to use Japanese terms when it suits them (e.g. titles) but at no other times, this kind of use of the traditional languages seems to stem either from laziness or ego, neither of which are traits becoming of a martial artist.

Only by contrast can we see

I still don't agree. When "worlds" get together, the language of the traditional art "is" the commong language...

- Killer -

I am talking about when the worlds get together to collaborate. English would be better than the Korean trying to figure out what the Japanese is saying.

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/