• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Japanese vs english in training

mid life crisis

Osu, In the Kyokushin Karate system, we tend to follow the Japanese pronunciation for some of the techniques and we then add our own language interpretation for what they are called.

One of the reasons why we use so much Japanese in our system and classes is so that what ever country one is visiting and training in, one can generally get a hold on hearing the Japanese names of the techniques and can pretty much follow along.

This is not intended to discribe in detail, but more of a general gauge as to what technique is being taught etc.

I could just imaging travelling to 10 different countries and training in 10 different dojos, with 10 dirrent languages to contend with.

But when we hear, Chudan Tsuki, - We get it

Jodan Uke - We get it

Mawashi Geri - We get it

Even if the person saying the name of the technique has a strong accent: 99 times out of 100 - You will get it.

Got it?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personnally, I don't see why we don't just use English.

Why call it taekwondo, then? Just say you are practicing American Foot-Boxing.

I don't think this is the same. The technique doesn't care what language is used. It is ok for the cultural aspect I guess, but I just don't think it is necessary. And, I don't think you lose any traditionalism from using your native language, whatever that may be.

Quote:

One of the reasons why we use so much Japanese in our system and classes is so that what ever country one is visiting and training in, one can generally get a hold on hearing the Japanese names of the techniques and can pretty much follow along.

In this case, I can understand why, but if you don't do any traveling, then it is not as necessary.

I have learned both. Generally, I teach only American. I do not intend to travel to Japan anytime soon and do not feel it's necessary for any of my students to take the time to learn it. That's precious time they can spend practicing the technique instead of memorizing terms and phrases. JMO.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I have learned both. Generally, I teach only American. I do not intend to travel to Japan anytime soon and do not feel it's necessary for any of my students to take the time to learn it. That's precious time they can spend practicing the technique instead of memorizing terms and phrases. JMO.

It's true, but anyway you just need to hear it a tousand times :wink: and you memorize it, but it's something important to follow the tradition and yes it's easier to hear the names using a known language.

But I bet you don't say "Peacefull Mind One" when you're refering to Heian Shodan or "To Penetrate a Fortress, Minor Version" for Bassai-Sho.

The terminology is a common reference so anyone can be 100% sure (sometimes since diferent arts use different names :P ) of what the sensei is saying...

By the way you're still being called sensei from time to time or you prefer to be called "Teacher"?? I'm not trying to insult but I'm sure you're still atached with a great part of the tradicionalism and japan terminology. :karate:

-------------------------

Karate ni sente nashi

Japanese is introduced in my dojo from day one. Then brown belt and on we are expected to know the names of our techniques in Japanese and English. The tests for 3rd kyu and up are in Japanese. It has already been said, but i think that it is important because it serves as a universal language where people from all nations and cultures and understand what is going on. This is applicable in traveling, but also in seminars. For example, I recently went to a seminar conducted by Nobuaki Kanazawa and he used Japanese when speaking of techniques. When he explained kata and when deeper into the movements he would use English though. I also had the honor of testing for my Shodan under Nobuaki-sensei and the test done in Japanese. It may be actual SKIF requirements, but I'm not sure. But to conclude, I believe learning the traditional language is important.

McNerny

A good technique is beautiful but a beautiful technique is not always good.

-Hirokazu Kanazawa

We use mostly Japanese terminology in our dojo since its the universal language, with what some of your are saying about it being universal across countrys too, we have two polish guys train with us too. They have a fairly ok grasp of english, but Im guessing it makes it easier for them to explain things in Japanese terms If they cant work out the english word for a lunge punch etc.

Our Syllabus books have all the techniques in Japanese too, But these a glossary at the back of the book to help with anything you might not know.

I also think it helps with the kids to learn the Japanese too, Not only is it one of this almost mystical languages which helps them learn and remember it for the "coolness" factor I guess you could call it, It also allows more association, I can see a young child getting confused if you use the word, Jab one day and Junzuki the next

Generally both my clubs use both English and Japanese, but more Japanese than English.

Personally, I think its important to learn the Japanese terms, and I think all karate clubs should ensure their students have a degree of familiarity with them. As someone has already said, it means there is a common 'karate' language and visitors to the club understand what is expected of them and if any club members decide to travel to Japan or anywhere else, there is a good chance they'll be able to understand what technique they're being asked to perform.

I don't see it as 'traditionalism', I simply see it as practical.

Its just like when musicians learn Italian performance directions. Most musicians understand words like 'forte', 'andante', 'sforzando' etc. and since that is a common musical language used by musicians and composers all over the world, it means a musician can see performance directions written on the top of a sheet of music and follow them without having to find a translator to explain their meaning. The way I see it, using Japanese terms in karate/Korean terms in TKD etc.etc.etc. has the same element of practicality about it.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

Generally both my clubs use both English and Japanese, but more Japanese than English.

Personally, I think its important to learn the Japanese terms, and I think all karate clubs should ensure their students have a degree of familiarity with them. As someone has already said, it means there is a common 'karate' language and visitors to the club understand what is expected of them and if any club members decide to travel to Japan or anywhere else, there is a good chance they'll be able to understand what technique they're being asked to perform.

I don't see it as 'traditionalism', I simply see it as practical.

Its just like when musicians learn Italian performance directions. Most musicians understand words like 'forte', 'andante', 'sforzando' etc. and since that is a common musical language used by musicians and composers all over the world, it means a musician can see performance directions written on the top of a sheet of music and follow them without having to find a translator to explain their meaning. The way I see it, using Japanese terms in karate/Korean terms in TKD etc.etc.etc. has the same element of practicality about it.

Nice example Cheeky!

-------------------------

Karate ni sente nashi

Nishiyama use to say, "you learn a Japanese art, you learn it in Japanese." This sounds reasonable to me. Additionally, I really enjoyed being exposed to the Japanese culture - then it became part of me. Also, it wasn't an issue of being forced to learn Japanese, but becoming Japanese in your training. This allowed you to understand the true tone and essence of Karate.

Many of you may say, "but its not a Japanese art." I belonged to the JKA (Japan Karate Association), therefore a Japanese art...

The Americanization of Karate has done some great things in terms of promoting the art of Karate. But, it has also destroyed the true essence of Karate - what it is, why it is, and how it became Karate. The true essence of Karate is a "way of life," not a sport. To truly understand this, you must become Karate - so-to-speak. This means, train in Japanese, follow the Japanese traditions, and understand how Karate, traditionally (like sumo), is part of the Japanese culture and soul. It's not about whom is better than whom, how many people you can Kill, whom can inflict the most damage. It's Karate, "A Way Of Life." Learn, enjoy, and embrace that alone. Then you will truly learn and understand Karate!

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/