• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Japanese vs english in training

mid life crisis

My Sensei uses, almost exclusively, english in our training. (i.e. downward block, lunge punch, front snap kick etc.)Does anyone else do this. In going to another dojo I found it very difficult to follow along. Luckily after explaining my problem to the Sensei he "translated" for me. But I was somewhat embarrased and wondered if I was missing something important.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I myself prefer to use the Japanese/Okinawan terminology when possible. My old sensei used to call out the names of the techniques we were drilling and then would immediately follow with the English translation. I found that user friendly for newbies. In intermediate-advanced classes, he used the Japanese terms exclusively.

Myteacher--- one did english with Japanese and the other Japanese with english. To this day it is difficult for me sometimes

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

In the ATA, we used all English. In my new association, we use Korean. Personnally, I don't see why we don't just use English. If I can't say the technique in Japanese or Korean, it doesn't make it less of a technique. I think it is all formalities.

We do both in our dojo. If our sensei's running us through some complicated combinations or something, sometimes he uses english because we're already using most of our brain power trying to get them working correctly. Part of the our belt requirements are vocabulary.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I personally find Japanese easier to use in Karate, but beginners generally find it harder. In other styles I've trained in, they use English only.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

In our dojo we teach the Japanese from day one. We use both for beginners, and as you progress we move into mostly Japanese. But we aren't exclusively Japanese at this point.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

We go back and forth. Usually, with the advanced class, he uses maybe 90+% Japanese, but with beginner and intermediate, he uses only some Japanese.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."