• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pressure Points - mystical or basic biomechanics?

pressure points aren't magical, as you've all said, and thely do make defending yourself easier and more effective. i've been studying under one of George Dillman's students, Clayton McCombs and combining tuide with american kenpo to increase its effectiveness in self defense. like rather than kicking an attacker in the groin you can more effectively neutralize them but hitting spleen eleven. but you have to get the right direction and angle for every point. but pressure points can also be used for healing, by focusing your chi you can put your own force into another person to aid their ailments. focusing your chi is also how you can master the "force push" without even touching the person, but that takes years to master and from what i've read Dillman is one of the only ones who has.

there's also the fact that certain pressure points only work on certain types of build and that you have to adjust your own position for different attackers. then there's male/female polarity to consider where something works one way on a guy but has to work totally differently on a girl. it all becomes very confusing after awhile.

"I am not going to show you my art. I am going to share it with you. If I show it to you it becomes an exhibition, and in time it will be pushed so far into the back of your mind that it will be lost. But by sharing it with you, you will not only retain it forever, but I, too, will improve." -- Edmund K. Parker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All pressure points have physical explainations but some can be quite scary in their application or precision... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs8mblcgTsk&search=dim%20mak

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

i dont have sound on my computer can someone inform me on if the video was saying the whole non touchable knockouts was real, and why was it showing jiu jistu guys in the video?

btw, pressure points are scary, i just think they are hard to hit, and wouldnt be too much of a good idea on a trained fighter.

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

I've personally used pressure points a few times.. but only on the ground. Unless you've trained for an ungodly amount of time in a real combat situation for it, you'll probably find yourself too busy attempting to strike a point the size of a penny to think about the fist rocketing towards your temple. If the touchless knockout were real, Dillman should definatly step into a boxing ring... wouldn't THAT be ridiculous : P

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

One thing I did notice about the video is that everything was demonstrated by nonresisting subjects. Nothing was actually demonstrated in a "fighting" situation.

"Gosh, you're scared. Relax, I'm not going to hurt you." Then he smacks her in the head. Hahahahaha!

"You just hit me in the head!" :lol:

:lol: That was so funny. I thought maybe it was something when the EMTs said the different things were acting funny, but when he couldn't do it on anyone else, hmmm...

He would have to do it to me twice for me to believe it.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

That touchless knockout is a bunch of crap. I think it owuld be funny if he tried that on the street and the person just looked at him, laughed, then punched in him the face.

I work with some pressure points. Some work better than others. But like mentioned above, Hit hard, Hit fast, And hit with control. IF you land a solid power hit, it's going to hurt regaurdless. Hit a pressure point at the same time, and it's going to hurt even more.

-Ray

-Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body.

-It's Not The Size Of The Dog In The Fight, But The Size Of The Fight In The Dog.

I agree with Mizuryu. Pressure point fighting is likely far more effective for ground fighting than standup. I have a guy in my class who's nuts about pressure points, but he seems to eat my knuckles an awful lot while he's trying to get JUST the right spot:

Him: Haiee!

Me: What the...?

Him:

Me: What the heck are you doing?

Him: Didn't you feel that?

Me: Uh, no.

Him: One more try. Haiee!!

Me: POW!!!

Him: Ohhhhhhh.

:D :D :D

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu