• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pressure Points - mystical or basic biomechanics?

oh just want to add. He did mention that the theory behind pressure point is same as pressure point in Chinese medicine. And Chinese medicine is in fact very scientific, and alot of theory was accepted by western medicine, and that includes pressure point.

ever seen people using needle and stick into body for pain relieve??

if you live in Souther California, it's not hard to find place do that, and not only Chinese goes to that places.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been several tests that show that accupuncture and accupressure points dont actually do anything. These tests range from single blind to double blind to fake needles. But that's not the point of this discussion. When you talk about pressure points, you first have to specify what ype of point you are talking about. In the Chinese, a pressure point is something specific but some other points used in fighting are also classed as pressure points when talked about in English.

traditional chinese saying:

speak much, wrong much

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm jumping in a little late on this topic, but I would just like to make one point regarding the whole "mystical" aspect of pressure points and move like the Dim-Mak (death touch).

Most of these moves and locations on the body were "discovered" hundreds of years ago. I use the term discovered loosely as the real meaning, i.e.--the biomechanical knowledge behind them, was lacking. Karateka (just to use an example) knew that by striking area where the hip meets the leg (where the femoral artery lies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femoral_artery), the receiver of said strike would die days later. With medicine being what it was back then, MA practioners and doctors had no idea that the femoral artery could be severed causing internal bleeding and eventually death. Instead the vast majority of MA would only know that they struck someone there and over the next few days their opponents fell ill and died. Hence the misconception of a "death touch" is born.

Granted this is just one example, but it falls back to the main point--pressure points are a science. By evoling our understanding of the human body we have been able to explain those things such as pressure points and death touches that mystified our ancestors.

Now on a personal level, the only time I attempt to use pressure points is when I'm in a grappling situation. I never attempt to aim at them with strikes. Rather for strikes I perfer to use what is called guntin in silat systems. Guntin, which means scissors in Phillipino terminalogy, is the action of attacking an opponents arms, legs, or whatever they throw at you in an attempt to cause damage including temporary (or even permanent if you're really mean) paralysis. It's often referred to as "defanging the snake"--removing the weapons of your opponent.

Bearich, you summed up my thoughts on it exactly. What was once mysical and scary is now common known medicine and is therefore nothing more than basic biomechanics.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

I know I'm jumping in a little late on this topic, but I would just like to make one point regarding the whole "mystical" aspect of pressure points and move like the Dim-Mak (death touch).

Most of these moves and locations on the body were "discovered" hundreds of years ago. I use the term discovered loosely as the real meaning, i.e.--the biomechanical knowledge behind them, was lacking. Karateka (just to use an example) knew that by striking area where the hip meets the leg (where the femoral artery lies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femoral_artery), the receiver of said strike would die days later. With medicine being what it was back then, MA practioners and doctors had no idea that the femoral artery could be severed causing internal bleeding and eventually death. Instead the vast majority of MA would only know that they struck someone there and over the next few days their opponents fell ill and died. Hence the misconception of a "death touch" is born.

Granted this is just one example, but it falls back to the main point--pressure points are a science. By evoling our understanding of the human body we have been able to explain those things such as pressure points and death touches that mystified our ancestors.

Now on a personal level, the only time I attempt to use pressure points is when I'm in a grappling situation. I never attempt to aim at them with strikes. Rather for strikes I perfer to use what is called guntin in silat systems. Guntin, which means scissors in Phillipino terminalogy, is the action of attacking an opponents arms, legs, or whatever they throw at you in an attempt to cause damage including temporary (or even permanent if you're really mean) paralysis. It's often referred to as "defanging the snake"--removing the weapons of your opponent.

Very well put. But the pressure point fanatics will still argue your points though.

On a seperate point, defanging the snake is an extremely important point we study in knife fighting. As you would expect, most of it is based on Phillipino Arnis.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Defanging the snake??

It's a principle found in many kali and silat systems meaning to take the weapons away from an opponent--hence removing the fangs of a snake. Once that's done you effectively taken away all danger. Basically whatever your opponent throws at you, you take it away. If your assailant throws a punch, you attack the hand or arm. If they throw a kick, you attack the foot or leg. Ideally you're looking to temporarily paralyis or break whatever is thrown your way. And then when your opponent is no longer able to attack you (say after you've broken one of their forearms, split their knuckles on the other hand, and cracked one of their legs effectively leaving them hobbling on one good leg) you beat them at will.

In weapons systems, such as Kali, the principle remains the same, but the effect can be anything from attacking the limbs of your opponent to disarming them of their weapons and then using it against them, but in the end you're still eliminating your opponents capabilities to attack.