• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do people bash TKD?

I browse other forums and I sometimes hear people bashing TKD saying its not useful for Self defense etc.. Can some one explain to me why people bash TKD? :-?

*Puts on flame suit*

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well most likely because of the olympics I think :roll: plus TKD is an art that is very commercialized sadley it is easily thought of as Mcdojo art than MA! Whenb people hear TKD all they think is ....................young children at the age of 10 teaching class, breezing along belts like nothing and all about trophys then any slefdefense for that matter. :(

Trust me my friend I know what you are talking about.When i tell other MA that i do TKD they laugh and say," Point Karate thats all it is!", It dosent bother as much as used to though. When I hear people take that much energy to ,"bash", on another art and take time to make a negative list about that art I know thats wasted energy they could be useing for themselves.

Dont worry what people think, when you do that you WILL NEVER UNLOCK YOUR TRUE POTENTIAL!

Hope that helps!

-Bryan-

ALWAYS DO YOUR BEST!

I browse other forums and I sometimes hear people bashing TKD saying its not useful for Self defense etc.. Can some one explain to me why people bash TKD? :-?

*Puts on flame suit*

Most likely because the most visible aspect is the Olympics, where you can't punch to the head and they fight with their arms down. They immediately portray the sport aspect as typical of the entire art. Plus, there seems to be a trend that if an art doesn't include groundfighting, it's automatically suspect.

Get all the training you can, and trust in your abilities, and let the rest fall where it wants.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

TKD does things differently and unfortunately, as in life, if your not in the mainstream people have issues (Just my opinion). Of course it works both ways. I read that TKD masters used the red belt below black to stick it to the Japanese/Okinawan masters. Not sure this is true because I was not there when they did that (I feel younger already! :D ) but that is what I read somewhere. Someone (can remember his name) studied under Toyama and his students (the guy who I can't remember his name) had students who founded some major Kwons. Look it it this way, now that I think if it I like to think of it this way, it's boils down to sybling rivalry. Again, just my opinion.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I think for the most part people think it is just a sport, and has rules that are too restriciting, and that they restrict too much contact. Also, it seems like most of the "belt factories" or "McDojos" tend to be TKD schools. This draws negative attention to them.

I am not making these generalizations, they are just what I hear. I attend a very good TKD school, and feel confident in the training that I receive.

I run a TKD school, and the reason most people bash it is because of the McDojo term. Alot of people dont understand that I run a school because I love teaching and helping other people do something that has changed my life, and I can have my dream of running a sucessful business. Its the perfect situation. I am doing two of my dreams in one profession.

There two main reasons. One is the olympics. This is the main reason. In those competitions, there are significant restrictions that do not apply on the street. This is the most visible form of the art and therefore, what those relate as what TKD is in full.

The second is that to some degree, it's not. But this applies to all arts. People see the high kicks etc and say "but I'll never fight someone 12 feet tall". This is true, but what they fail to realise is that the style was created for the common people to defend themselves against enemies on horses. At the time of creation of the art, it was very effective for it's given purpose. The reasoning for high kicks has been lost as has the effectiveness of them, but people fail to realise there is a lot more to TKD than just high kicks.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Let's be frank. There are lots of TKD schools that cater to the commercial children's market. Some parents put their kids into soccer, others choose TKD for their children. Since the art can't be taught with true martial intent or meaning to children for a variety of seasons, classes tend to degenerate into sport karate and cheerleading.

TKD isn't the only martial art guilty of this; it's just more visible. The trick to avoiding a McDojo is to find a teacher who teaches to further his art, rather than just going to the nearest strip mall dojo that offers a free uniform with enrollment. I am fortunate to live in a decent sized city with a progressive economy and have been able to train in a number of styles with different teachers. In my experience, I've found the non-commerical teachers are the ones that teach the good stuff.

Let me add that a teacher who teaches for profit can indeed be a great teacher. It's just my thought that depending on teaching the martial arts for at least part of your livelihood is a difficult proposition and can force you to do things differently from what you might choose should money not be part of the equation.

I have to agree with all the people who blame the Olympic TKD for this. I have seen it in "action" and i was shocked. How much damage can this competition style do to a good style. If you judge TKD from this perspective only, then you'll be inclined to think it's not a good style. But the fact is that TKD is just as good as any if trained properly. But many people don't have the time or understanding to see the other side too, so they rish into bashing it.