• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learning from a Teaching experience.

I was the high rank student in class tonight. But sometimes I get to assist a little here and there. I usually teach a kids class, but anyway. We were doing onesteps, and I was trying to help one of the black belt kids with a spin heel kick. I was explaining different things to her, and she was picking it up, but still needed something. Realizing that she maybe needed a different angle, I asked the Jr. Master to come over. I told him what we were working on, explained her problem, and asked if maybe he could relay anything different, or in a different way. So he kid, and it helped the student out some more.

I guess what I am saying is that it is nice to be able to teach something, and then have another person around to bounce things off of, or to give a different method. Everyone learns in a different way, and it is good to know that there is always somewhere to go for help.

By teaching what I could, and then listening to another teacher, I was able to learn more as well. Makes the world go round, eh?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I actually got a fortune cookie last saturday that had the message-

To teach is to learn twice

that is so true. i've been teaching for a few years, and each time i try and explain something better than the last time it's like i'm learning how to explain it while at the same time i'm learning how not to explain it. it's strange

"I am not going to show you my art. I am going to share it with you. If I show it to you it becomes an exhibition, and in time it will be pushed so far into the back of your mind that it will be lost. But by sharing it with you, you will not only retain it forever, but I, too, will improve." -- Edmund K. Parker

I've been teach close to 8 years full time and I still get little things by watching my instructor teach. One of the biggest mistake an instructor can make is by thinking that they know it all. If a student asked a question and you don't know the answer then tell them "I don't know, but I will find the answer for you." then stay to your word and get back to them.

I actually got a fortune cookie last saturday that had the message-

To teach is to learn twice

Excellent quote!

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I've been teach close to 8 years full time and I still get little things by watching my instructor teach. One of the biggest mistake an instructor can make is by thinking that they know it all. If a student asked a question and you don't know the answer then tell them "I don't know, but I will find the answer for you." then stay to your word and get back to them.

I agree with you here 100%. We always have room to learn more. I hope that if I ever become a head instructor I will be humble enough to approach my assistant instructors about teaching ideas, and ways to relate different things. Especially with kids, they are the toughest.

I have started understading my techniques better when teaching them or helping other students. It's a great way to learn since you explain and show thus explaining everything to yourself too.

This was something I picked up when I began teaching, and I am still fine tuning my techniques in this way. One of the best ways to teach is by example, and you have to be able to demonstrate accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

I try always to find the easiest way to teach something. It makes me so happy when they get it. I love to attend my instructors classes so I can listen to him and focus on how he teaches material. It seems so much easier coming from him.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.