• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Frequent Mover

SLuMPs

Hello everyone, I've always been interested in karate. I used to train in Taekwondo as a kid but due to a knee injury i had to stop for a while, then i got involed with the wrong crowd and went downhill from there. Well know i have grown up and in college. Right now im am in CT for my internship and want to get back into karate to use up my spare time, and build my disipline, but the thing is that i will only be here for another 3 months, then i am back off to school. Then i will only be back in school for another 8 months then im moving to NYC to continue my career. I plan to stick to taekwondo and start fresh because there are dojos at all locations. But will the sensei's accept me and my rank when i move?

thanks all

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Don't see why other schools wouldn't accept you, however, they may be a bit different in their teaching approach and grading. The most important thing is that you continue with your training, IMHO.

A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minutes longer. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

You might not go in at the rank you were, but I know at least in my dojo, if you can test up to your rank, you got your rank. Actually, having three different instructors could be a good thing, you'll get an idea of what works for you and what doesn't and when you finally settle, you can look for that in a dojo.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

thanks for the help guys. On my day off tommorrow im gonna go look at all the dojos to see what they have to offer. Oh and after browsing around the forum i found out about many different styles, is there a website i can learn about all, if not some of the popular ones

thanks

The best thing you can do in this case is to get in touch with the dojangs that you will be moving towards, and discuss your situation with these instructors before you get there. And, if you have to start over, oh well. I have done it once, and it isn't so bad. The important thing is that you keep your training up while you bounce around. When you finally get settled in, you can make your go from there if you have to.

• 2 weeks later...

There are some good websites out there which have an index of disciplines. e.g. https://www.martial-way.com But watch for websites which offer opinions on the arts as some could be biased. Of course you can check out your favourite search engine and just run a few searches, too. :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu