• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just an opinion

I do not want to go into details, but I think that American martial arts training should go to another level. Just read Arena's quote on ESPN.com and I think his comments should be extended to karate, TKD, and a few other specialties as well.

"Not all the best people can be found in the ring"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What kind of heightened training should we do? More traditional training? More hours per day? Most of us work for a living, and have trouble getting the sponsorships to quit our jobs and fight for a living. I will have to read Arenas' remarks, but I am not sure what we should do.

I agree many martial artists train in what I can only call a "pansy" manner, but saying all American martial artists must take their training to the next level is a gross and nonsensical generalization.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

I agree with UseoForce. There are some belt factories out there, but there are also a lot of good schools. What is important to remember is that the martial arts are individualistic challenges. A person gets out what they put in. I had class tonight, only an hour long, but I was dying the whole time. I am not in the best shape in the world, but I feel that I get good training, and I enjoy it.

You also have to keep in mind peoples abilities as well. Not everyone has the same abilities. If a professional athlete comes in and starts class, he won't be the same as the 50 year old that started 2 months ago.

I agree that American Martial Artists should go to the next level too....that level being back to basics and back to tradition. It will never happen but it should :)

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I agree that American Martial Artists should go to the next level too....that level being back to basics and back to tradition.

You know it.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I agree that American Martial Artists should go to the next level too....that level being back to basics and back to tradition. It will never happen but it should :)

Who's tradition? Please expand on your thoughts here. Tradition can mean so many things.

I do not want to go into details, but I think that American martial arts training should go to another level.

To what purpose? Toward which goal are we (Americans) not aiming high enough? I know you said you don't want to go into details...but your comment is so general. How can we respond well to such an open ended statement?

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Arenas made some comments about the American soccer team's performance in the World Cup. You know what? We just got beat. By better teams. It is just the way it is. Now, we have to go back, re-evaluate ourselves, and get back on the horse, and try to avoid the same thing next time. The American team just needs to get better. The Americans have been behind in soccer for so many years, that it says quite a bit just qualifying for the World Cup. You can't win them all, you can only do your best. I think the American Team did what they could.

Arenas made some comments about the American soccer team's performance in the World Cup. You know what? We just got beat. By better teams. It is just the way it is. Now, we have to go back, re-evaluate ourselves, and get back on the horse, and try to avoid the same thing next time. The American team just needs to get better. The Americans have been behind in soccer for so many years, that it says quite a bit just qualifying for the World Cup. You can't win them all, you can only do your best. I think the American Team did what they could.
Actually, we got beat by terrible refs.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Actually, we got beat by terrible refs.

In all 3 games?