• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate and the Mat

lordtariel

We've been doing some grappling training in my class lately and I've noticed something when we've been doing it. It seems like as soon as they hit the ground, a lot of the students immediatly fixate on getting back up. Even to the point of not paying attention to their opponent. This was illustrated by one of our sempais dropping a student five times in a row last week because they weren't paying attention to where they were and how they were getting up. Has anyone else seen this type of thing in their classes? Do other Karate systems make a study of grappling? I don't feel there's anything wrong with getting up quickly or doing all your fighting standing up, but it seems more like a reflex rather than a concious choice. I really enjoy mixing it up on the ground, but that's probably the judo talking.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do some grappling, but not massive amounts...in any case, even if you don't do grappling, you should at least learn how to fall, a few things to do if you're down there, a way to defend from the ground against someone standing, and several ways of getting up quickly, safely, and efficiently.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Do other Karate systems make a study of grappling?

Yes.

I also think that if it's possible to get up safely (well, relatively safely), it should be done.

I teach both stand-up and groundfighting and the ways of getting up.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

It would seem your sempai is attempting to instill a sense of remaining mind in the his kohai. They should attempt to get up. But to do it in the safest possible manner. Your sempai is doing his duty well!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

There is a proper method of getting back up.

Clearly staying on the ground is not the way to go if your opponent is on his or her feet!

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

We've been doing some grappling training in my class lately and I've noticed something when we've been doing it. It seems like as soon as they hit the ground, a lot of the students immediatly fixate on getting back up. Even to the point of not paying attention to their opponent. This was illustrated by one of our sempais dropping a student five times in a row last week because they weren't paying attention to where they were and how they were getting up. Has anyone else seen this type of thing in their classes? Do other Karate systems make a study of grappling? I don't feel there's anything wrong with getting up quickly or doing all your fighting standing up, but it seems more like a reflex rather than a concious choice. I really enjoy mixing it up on the ground, but that's probably the judo talking.

I understand what you mean. My instructor once in awhile will instruct a small class on defending agaisnt grappling, and what to do in those situations(How to gain control). But this is only special training, and is rare.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

What you must remember is that although some schools teach grappling, Karate is generally a stand up art. We spend much time educating our students how to fight while on their feet. Therefore, this is where they are comfortable. People will always go to their comfort zone.

This will get better with more grappling practise.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

We don't do much ground work as well, but we do have some different methods on getting back up.

How do you learn to get back up?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

What you must remember is that although some schools teach grappling, Karate is generally a stand up art. We spend much time educating our students how to fight while on their feet. Therefore, this is where they are comfortable. People will always go to their comfort zone.

This will get better with more grappling practise.

Not really on topic, but we have a guy in my karate class who REALLY doesn't like the ground. We were doing some loose sparring one day and just for fun I let him take me down (he thought he could wrestle) and put him in my guard, than applied a triangle choke and made him tap immediately. Should've seen the look on his face when I let him up. He's a pretty decent striker, but very tight and hard, so he's easy to manipulate on the ground or on foot, though he thinks he's quite the stylist.

It's absolutely imperative a fighter be comfortable in all quarters. Anything can go wrong and you can't always dictate where/how a battle will be fought. It really makes me laugh when some of my karate contemporaries insist that they don't need to learn grappling because they are skillful enough to stay off the ground.

As for this guy, we can't get him to go near the mat now and he always insists on no grappling when we spar (I thought he knew how to wrestle?). I feel for him if he ever gets in a real fight.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu