• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ever made a custom weapon?

Many people I know just use regular weapons that you can find on the internet or at guns shows. Ahem, boring. Mainly this post is for those who are good with metal working. But you dont have to know that kind of stuff to make your own custom weapon. You can make it however and whatever you want to. My custom weapon was made by me, took about 7 months to make it. Technically, it is actually to make them. It is a pair of dual katanas with fine grade carbon steel blades. What is custom about them is in their hilts though. I carved a screw hole in the bottom of each hilt, making sure they were drilled straight, and bolted on a small interlocking rotation clamp. What it is for, as you may of already guessed, for connecting the two together. When the two interlocking clamps are placed together, you rotate one of the swords and they lock together. This turns my dual katanas into a double bladed one, which actually looks quite cool. To unlock them, you push them together and turn them around twice, which causes the clamps to release. All of my friends were quite impressed with and a few of them have made their own custom weapons, which were also quite impressive. So, if you're into using weapons in your martial arts or the art of the sword, consider making your own weapon and make up your own style own style to fight with it. It is very fun and gives you something unique to have pride in as you continue your MA training or teaching.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That's rad. I made custom grips for my sai, kama, and dao - does that count? :D :lol: :brow:

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

I believe it is unwise at best and foolish at worst to attempt to create a new style of weapon on your own. It sounds like a good way to lose a limb.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

I am an apprentice blacksmith, i am opening my shop this summer, and i am going to attempt to make some sort of weapon (i have never done blades before). I am quite good at blacksmithing. I want to make a staff with two sword blades on the ends. the staff itself will be only two feet in length, with both the blades curved. It will be about as tall as me (i am a short person... maybe i should go for an axe?)

• 3 weeks later...

That sounds pretty cool.

I've kind of invented my own weapons- one is a baton that's wielded like a knight stick, the other: I was playing around with my Kali training knife last night and I took a string and made a lanyard that goes on the wrist. This way, it's like a yo-yo. You can flip it out to slash or stab and it usually returns to ice-pick position.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

That sounds pretty awesome, emperornero. Unfortunately, the technical things of what you did to it went right over my head, but i can appreciate the picture of the finished product that i got.

How did you learn to do stuff like that?

and abacus: that's awesome! good luck opening your own shop. how did you get to become an apprentice blacksmith? i've been interested in doing that, but i have no idea how to get to be able to do it.

Work Hard, Play Hard, Live Hard,

but Love Softly, and with all your Heart,

For Time waits for no one,

and Life goes hand-in-hand.

~Max

Many people I know just use regular weapons that you can find on the internet or at guns shows. Ahem, boring. Mainly this post is for those who are good with metal working. But you dont have to know that kind of stuff to make your own custom weapon. You can make it however and whatever you want to. My custom weapon was made by me, took about 7 months to make it. Technically, it is actually to make them. It is a pair of dual katanas with fine grade carbon steel blades. What is custom about them is in their hilts though. I carved a screw hole in the bottom of each hilt, making sure they were drilled straight, and bolted on a small interlocking rotation clamp. What it is for, as you may of already guessed, for connecting the two together. When the two interlocking clamps are placed together, you rotate one of the swords and they lock together. This turns my dual katanas into a double bladed one, which actually looks quite cool. To unlock them, you push them together and turn them around twice, which causes the clamps to release. All of my friends were quite impressed with and a few of them have made their own custom weapons, which were also quite impressive. So, if you're into using weapons in your martial arts or the art of the sword, consider making your own weapon and make up your own style own style to fight with it. It is very fun and gives you something unique to have pride in as you continue your MA training or teaching.

sounds cool I would not want to use them to hit something unlsee you heat treated them. Pic of this would be cool to see.

I am an apprentice blacksmith, i am opening my shop this summer, and i am going to attempt to make some sort of weapon (i have never done blades before). I am quite good at blacksmithing. I want to make a staff with two sword blades on the ends. the staff itself will be only two feet in length, with both the blades curved. It will be about as tall as me (i am a short person... maybe i should go for an axe?)

Most of the blades that you fold and hammer are going to be curved it is a flow in the process of making them. A flaw that was use to great advantages by the people who used them.

• 2 weeks later...

i got a 3 foot square shaped pole and nailed my kamas into it.

"Sword-Chucks yo."

Yes, thanks a lot guys.  Hey, kamasandsais, that was something that you knew that I did not!! 
<---blackmail hahahahhaha bushido