• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I started training in muay thai a year ago and I really enjoy it. I'm out of school now and I hope to travel to Thailand in the near future. I already started finding travel info, but what I really want to know is if there are muay thai schools and/or training camps that accept foreigners as old as me (I'm 23..Thais start training at like 7 years old) and how to find them. I'd love to be able to train in Thailand.

Another thing, how do I go about finding some place to stay while I'm there? When I went to travel websites, all the accomodations were hotels, and I don't want to do that. If I do go I'd like to stay for at least a couple of months. What about the Thai language? Can you get by without it? I hear it's really tough to learn. I'd love to hear from anyone who has been to Thailand.

Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Give Sohan a PM, I think he had some info on the subject. There was also and individual posting here on his current training in Thailand as a foriegner. Can't remember his username for the life of me, though.

Been to thailand many times without incident. Actually trained in a camp that rarely if any time had foreigners in it. It was actually the best experience of my entire life! We struggled through communication but I never had such training ever. Its a great place to train and dont let nothing hold you back from doing it.....

Have a look at the wmtc website. They have a camp in Koh Samui which would be a good place to start with your experience.

There was a good site called muaythailand.com but its down at the moment.

I had a bunch of links but lost them when my computer crashed.

Not much help am I!

Maybe take a look at axkickboxing.com. Might find some info there.

Otherwise just do a search for muaythai camps. There are quite a few with English sites, and any of them will take you on regardless of age.

They want your money! :D

Lots of people of various ages and ability are training in Thailand.

Go for it, its a great experience.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

I actually just got back from thailand and did some training while there. To answer a few of your questions, sure you can train being 23! I'm 24 and had no problems, you may want to look for a camp that caters to foreigners mostly though as you'll probly get more hand holding and instruction this way ( although my camp was this way, and if you did the twice a day routine, it was pretty intense. )

as for the language, it's wise to learn at least some basic phrases, like hello and thankyou, but most foreigners don't even learn that. Thailand is a heavilly touristed country, and many thais speak at least a little english. Pantomiming and smiling is helpful as well.

As for places to stay, it depends a lot on the area, but most likely you would end up at a camp somewhere in phuket. Most camps offer bungallow accomadations at pretty affordable rates. If even these are too much for you, you may want to look into renting a motorbike ( the camp I was at rented these for 130 Baht a day, you'll probly want one in any case actually.) and staying at an inexpensive guesthouse. If you pick up a copy of Lonely Planets guide to thailand, it will list a bunch of these. ( wayyyyyy cheaper than staying at a hotel. I spent some time at a guesthouse in Kata within walking distance of the beach for 500 baht a night, which is like 12 or 13 $)

Good luck!!!

"I once thought that life was a mixed bag, now I know it's just a bag of all"