• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kung Fu Vs. Karate Vs. Tae Kwon Do

i am doing both karate and tae kwon do and i dont think it is possible to say one is better than the other.

they are infact, very similar to each other. one has a few more kicks, the other has a few more hand strikes. but they do what they are designed to do.

when sparring at karate, i try to maintain a kciking distance, and use my legs as my main attacking weapon. on the other hand, when sparring at tkd class, i get in close and use hand techniques.

i generally find i have the upper hand when i am sparring with someone of the equivalent grade of the opposing art (ie, im BB in tkd, so i do well against high karate grades, but only 6th kyu in karate so i do well against 4th - 6th gup in tkd)

so in essence, karate and tkd are much of a muchness. i cant speak for kung fu as i have no experience with it.

Now you use head for something other than target.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
i am doing both karate and tae kwon do and i dont think it is possible to say one is better than the other.

they are infact, very similar to each other. one has a few more kicks, the other has a few more hand strikes. but they do what they are designed to do.

when sparring at karate, i try to maintain a kciking distance, and use my legs as my main attacking weapon. on the other hand, when sparring at tkd class, i get in close and use hand techniques.

i generally find i have the upper hand when i am sparring with someone of the equivalent grade of the opposing art (ie, im BB in tkd, so i do well against high karate grades, but only 6th kyu in karate so i do well against 4th - 6th gup in tkd)

so in essence, karate and tkd are much of a muchness. i cant speak for kung fu as i have no experience with it.

That sounds kind of interesting. So, in karate class, you spar like TKD, with lots of kicking, and at TKD class, you jump on the fact that they like to kick, and get close and punch. Now, do you ever attempt to try to use a balance of both, and work some kind of strategy that way when you spar at each of the classes? Or, do you ever try to mix it up and spar karate like karate, and TKD like TKD? Not that I am trying to generalize, just going off what you mentioned.

its not that i do it exclusively, i just find that in general i can get the upper hand this way.

there are times, especially with people that i spar with regularly, know that this is what i do, and try to negate this by adjusting distance. in these situations i will do what ever art is going to suit me better at the said distance.

Now you use head for something other than target.

its not that i do it exclusively, i just find that in general i can get the upper hand this way.

there are times, especially with people that i spar with regularly, know that this is what i do, and try to negate this by adjusting distance. in these situations i will do what ever art is going to suit me better at the said distance.

Thanks, that answers my questions.

I think that everyone has their own opinions as to which style would suit you, you should, like Jaymac says, try out several styles in your area - if it doesnt have the feel of what you want you are under no obligation and just try something new. There is a style and a club out there for everyone.

Karate Ni Sentinashi

The ultimate system of kung-fu is Tai Chi but you can expect a decade of diligent learning before acheiving any martial skill. Wing Chun can be learned in 6 months and is very scientific and difficult to beat. The classical styles (animal styles, drunken etc) are interesting observations on the nature of energy. The old Shaolin styles like Longfist and Phoenix Eye Fist are hard styles, requiring hard conditioning but it will make you a superior fighter.

As for Karate, for me, the only style I would consider would be the old Okinawan style which is highly respected by martial artists. I may be biased of course seeing as O.Karate is based on Tai Chi and Dim Mak brought over by the Chinese.

I have seen (sport) karate 'experts' dealt with by extremely simple and efficient techniques while they're still lifting their feet off the ground. People seem to think that martial skill is equivalent to being able to lift your leg in the air and it is not so.

I can only recommend that you accompany any hard training with soft training; after all, you wont be strong forever.

Silence is the true friend who never betrays - Tai Chi Proverb

Everyone please keep in mind that this thread is not what about the best martial art is, it's about what the best martial art is for the topic starter based upon his/her description of his/her individual needs.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...
Now my reasons for wanting to learn martial arts are for the discipline, the strength training, and the self defense aspect.

For discipline & self defense, the majority of martial arts can help you. The strength training is going to be specific to martial arts. If you are looking for general strength training go to a gym.

Now kung fu has always appealed to me and theres one school in my area that is highly respected.

Great! Take their free trial lesson and see if the art is a good fit for you. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Now I've seen several videos of friendly challenges from Kung Fu schools to karate schools, and in most the karate student seems to come out the winner. Basically the kung fu student would set up an elaborate punch or something and the karate student would just strike before the kung fu student could make a hit.

There are good and bad schools in all martial arts. In regards to Kung Fu there is a distinct separation between Traditional Kung Fu and Wushu. Wushu doesn't fight, it's primary focus is on the performance (like gymnastics or figure skating) of standardized empty hand and weapons forms. Traditional Kung Fu teaches fighting/self defense skills.

Karate seems like a well rounded discipline keeping kicks and punches in good balance. Also I have a fairly large powerful build that seems would be more suitable to karate as opposed to the flexability that kung fu would require. Tae Kwon Do would be my last choice, as I usually prefer to stay towards the Chinese and Japanese martial arts, and I know that Tae Kwon Do focuses alot of kicking.

Anyone have an opinion or advice?

Kung Fu, Karate & Tae Kwon Do are all good. You'll find the better schools of each have more similarities than differences between them. Your main goal is to choose the style that feels right for you.

IMO, there certainly is no "best" system. Many traditions employ the very same principles and often practice. However since opinion was solicited, here's mine...choose whatever style suits you best, one may also consider logistics and finances as a part of the final solution. My recommendation is whichever style you go with strive to do your very best and have fun! :brow:

"Without Ki, without Kime, there is no true Karate"