• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Self Defense -- Are One Steps Enough?

i feel that one steps is a good way for novice and lower belts students to become aquainted with, and as a starting point to the realistic forms of self defense.

as a BB, we can not forget or stop learning from the BASICS.

moreover, as with everything, the basics are the foundation we build on. :nod:

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One steps are when your partner feeds you an attack and you react with techniques of your own right? These are a great way to learn. It is only part of the equation though. Practice the one-steps.. then make em 2 step feeds and 3. Then you can see if it works full speed with some padding on, same one-step drill but faster and with contact. After that, you can spar with the one-step, full speed with contact the attacker using only the one feed but at random timing. After that, see if you can pull it off during any sparring sessions.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

The one steps i have done have had a specific response to a specific attack, and the moves become mechanical and useless rather than reflex and effective...

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

What are peoples favorite onesteps? Level you learned it and brief description please.

Purple #1

step out, double knife hand block, sweep the leg, pin their shoulder to the ground, pummel their face

gotta love the sweeps :wink:

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

There are too many "one-steps" to name my favorite. I just teach many different options to my students so that they can find out what works best for them. One-steps are a great way to learn new techniques and how to use the technique both offensively and defensively. Like I said, one-steps are just part of a training regiment. One-steps are part of a whole, and training in one-steps alone is futile.

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

At the club I attend we only learn self defense once in a great while. In the past year I have learned 4 techniques that teach how to defend against a punch, hand grab, and a choke hold. The club is more geared towards sparring competition which we do once a week.

We were told that they may be asking us to demonstrate two self defense techniques in our next test. I hope that this is a sign that more self defense will be taught.

Steve Dallas

Have a great day!

one step techniques are designed to give you more opions and get you to practice different moves that you might normally disregard. You shouldn't let them become mechanical and borring. Each time you do them have your partner punch faster and eventually try to actually hit you and increase your precision and speed each time. By doing this they will become reflex and a good base for your self defense arsonal.

At our school when we practice one step the attacher comes foreward with a reverse punch and steps into a horse stance. We do it this was so they are coming toward you with a straight punch. Because if you can learn to bloch a straight punch you can block anything.

sdallasoo, what style do you study and if you havrn't been learning how to defend yourself what have you been learning?

punch kick shoot pound submitt

Exactly UnderTow, I agree with your post fully. Except for "learn to deal with straight punch and you learn everything". I feel the haymaker type of attack is dealt with in a much different way. So there are 2 types of attacks that a person needs to learn to deal with, straight (thrusting) attacks and round (slashing) attack, same with the kicks.

Also, with "one-steps" you can become a little creative, but try to keep in mind the dynamics and speed of a fight. If you parry a jab, and return with a jab, that's a pretty sound counter. If you parry a jab, take 3 steps back, run and jump kick, that's probably not the most sound techinque.

One more thing that I see way too much of.. One-steps where the attacker leaves the hand (or foot) out where it was blocked or parried. While this may be realistic toward Karate practitioners, many other systems snap the punch and get it back to their fighting stance ASAP. So have the feeder throw their technique realistically, but controlled. And also have the feeder throw the punch with the intent of hitting you. There is no use learning how to parry/block a technique that wouldn't hit you anyway.