• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Self Defense -- Are One Steps Enough?

You see,I will refuse to train with anyone who is not willing to give it their all and who cries everytime they get a bleeding nose or break a tooth! If they think i'm being hard on them then i remind them that the guy on the street aint gonna have a cool temper like me :bigwink:

Some people are just weak mentally and physically and don't deserve to be trained with...

Angus :karate: :up:

Reason with an assailant first, THEN break their face!

- Angus Argyle

This Message was edited by: Patrick on Jul 26, 2001 1:16pm

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*laughs sarcastically*

Nope, i mean fools who want to be the best but don't wanna feel pain!

"oh i forgot....congrats jack with your bright new yellow belt in this forum......happy posting"

Hehe, thanks there :cool:

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

You see, the thing is, I will refuse to train with anyone who is not willing to give it their all and who cries everytime they get a bleeding nose or break a tooth! If they think i'm being hard on them then i remind them that the guy on the street aint gonna have a cool temper like me

Your language sounds no better than a street thug. Where is your sense of honor and respect as a martial artist? Also if you have to bloody your partner's nose and break his teeth in a class setting, you have inadequate control. Please spare me the *tough guy* attitude -- It is counter to being a true martial artist.

tkdwolf

WTF 2nd Dan

USKMAF 1st Dan (Hapkido)

This Message was edited by: Patrick on Jul 26, 2001 1:16pm

tkdwolf

WTF 2nd Dan

USKMAF 1st Dan (Hapkido)

Everyone has their definition of a "true martial artist." And I am sure each of you fit your own definitions, which is not saying anything derogatory. :smile: But, lets not forget it.

ok gentlemen......we have a good thread going here..............so i ask; is one step sparring enough?

your views are important to me.

thank you

:nod:

rushman (taekwondo moderator)

3rd dan

wtf/kukkiwon

florida

This Message was edited by: iamrushman on Jul 26, 2001 9:55pm

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

Wake up wolf... I didn't say i had to make the guy bleed, i said that i don't train with guys who cry everytime they get these injuries. I don't set out to hurt them this way. Read the post carefully next time. There is a time and a place for control, but you have to hit your partner from time to time as well, otherwise you don't know what a real hit feels like.

Maybe i am a street thug or a tough guy, i mean they do exist don't they!?

I don't care if i'm a 'true' martial artist or not. I'm a guy who learns self-defense techniques, not some 'buddhist monk' dude who sits and contemplates the universe all day long.

I wanna know how i violated codes of honour and respect. I honour and respect people who are strong willed and are willing to give their all.

RUSHMAN, no, one step sparring is not enough.

Angus

:karate: :up:

one step sparring in my opinion is alright for lower belts as we gradually train them to interact with partners in simulated combat..however most of these techniuqes are an exageration like in hyungs (or kata)or a shadow of what a real attack and counter would be like...first your standing face to face one guy yells kia! to let the other guy know hes coming then its something like an over telegraphed punch or kick into some stupid extended foward stance or awkward back stance....this is not the natural movements during combat so why drill this way hundreds and hundreds of times..what will happen when you encounter real combat..will you automatically adjust and do what you have to? i dont think it quite works that way..why not just practice one steps but with the way people (especially untrained people)may attack you and then practice what works from there (please refer to my posting under general karate under people who dont know ...)

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

Yep, i even found the revered art of HapKiDo had these useless one steps in them... I really hated them.