Patches on your uniform?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None whatsoever. I don't really think there's any need for them and prefer a plain white gi. I would probably wear one, subtle patch if my club or association wanted me to, though, but prefer my gis patchless.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

On my Karate gi I have only 1 patch.

On my Aiki Jujitsu gi I have no patches.

This is because I follow the rules and guidlines set forth by those particular schools.

On my BJJ gi I have several patches. In BJJ they love to see patches on the gi. The more the better. It's kind of like wearing your entire lineage on your gi.

I enjoy both schools of thought. In Aiki they teach that the gi should be like the mind...void of clutter. In BJJ they tell us the gi is just something to put on to go to class...the discipline comes from within. I feel they are both correct.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

dojo patch, shotokan patch, and if I prefer, an american flag (not required though). I do not like to adorn my gi with a multitude of patches. I put on what is required only at our school and that is it. I have several patches that I have been awarded for achievements made, but just keep them at home.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• 2 weeks later...

Patches are not required, but most students do wear a Shin Neko Do Goju patch. We are awarded instructor or Sensei badges and we do receive weapons badges, but most of the adults choose to keep their gi's simple.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had 4 dogi's and all but my first (was given to me) have remained patchless. I have nothing against those who wear them (including my sensei). I'm personally very proud of my dojo & style (iskf), just always felt I didn't want to look like a Boy Scout. Hmm....maybe I need some psychoanalysis???? Hehe

I currently have 6 heavyweight gi.

Three are without patches. I like the plain look and I also wear a patchless gi if I go elsewhere to train.

Two have my club's badge on the left chest, and the orange and black Shotokan tiger (Tora No Maki), on my right arm.

One has my club badge on the left chest, and another close friend's club badge on the right arm. (I am an honorary member)

I don't like seeing two patches on either side of the chest.. to me they just look like two big targets! ;)

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

my gi have nothing on them, the way i like it. i've never liked the look of badges on gi, it spoils the traditional effect. one gi i used to use has like four badges on it because they were required by the jujitsu association i used to train with (WJJF). they ruined the gi as far as i'm concerned. my kendo keikogi has the kanji for hogen ('compassionate eye') stitched into it, but its hardly visible.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana