• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Going for 1st dan, help and some expert advice.

Ok well im going for my black belt grading in less than 6 months.

just wondering what sort of training you (the person tht is reading this) actually did.

It will b good to kno, not just for myself, but other people tht are reaching the dan grades and abode.

Simo

Osu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started doing lots of cardio training about 4-6 months prior to my black belt grading. In our school the dan gradings are about 4 1/2 hours long so you've got to be fit for the long haul. I would go to the gym 3 times a week for anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes per session doing treadmill, exercise bike and the cross-trainer.

I also did some moderate weight work, just to build up my strength rather than to bulk up as that would slow me down (I'm only a little fella, 5'5").

On top of that I was training 4 times a week in the dojo to keep my technique up to scratch and my katas sharp.

Depending on what the focus is in your school and the length of your grading any of these training tips should be useful.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

aaahh the memories of Gradings.

Ok, lets go back to the middle of a super hot summer in 1987.

Dojo is full and the temprature is draining, 3hrs30mins basics including idogeko (moving basics) then Kata (16 different ones)

Tamashiwari (Breaking) Broards, Seiken and Shuto.

Then the Gruelling Kyokushin Karate 40 Man Kumite:

40 Fights, 2 mins each with a fresh opponent every round, with no drink, toilet, or rest breaks in between the fighting rounds.

Osu

Simo- Could you list your requirements to pass the test? If we know what they are, we can give you more specific advice.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

realize... its only the most important day in your martial arts training :bigwink: But seriously though i always tell my students, if you wernt ready you wouldnt be testing. Just make sure you eat before, run through your material and youll be fine GOOD LUCK :up:

Osu RichardGregory

Fun maybe not the word, but the ale's and company after the grading at the after part presentations certainly were.

It took me a couple of weeks untill the bumps and bruises dissapeared, but fond memories indeed, (as i recall myself trying to walk down the stairs when the legs were smashed up).

But this is when we learn that:

"Ice can be your best friend!"

I started doing lots of cardio training about 4-6 months prior to my black belt grading. In our school the dan gradings are about 4 1/2 hours long so you've got to be fit for the long haul. I would go to the gym 3 times a week for anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes per session doing treadmill, exercise bike and the cross-trainer.

I also did some moderate weight work, just to build up my strength rather than to bulk up as that would slow me down (I'm only a little fella, 5'5").

On top of that I was training 4 times a week in the dojo to keep my technique up to scratch and my katas sharp.

Depending on what the focus is in your school and the length of your grading any of these training tips should be useful.

Mate thts the stuff i was after, because i know i hav to scratch up on basics, kihon, kata and kumite but i was just seeing how u prepared..

cheer

Simo

Osu

Because training is so varied with regards to traditional formats, i will outlay a typical day when my boys & myself were training for Kickboxing and Muay Thai bouts when our Karate Tournaments are out of season so too speak.

Start the day with:

Stretch

6-8km jog

Incorporating short Sprints

Skipping 15 to 20 mins straight. (nice warm up)

5 x 3 mins shadowbox ( incorporating punchs, kicks, knees and elbow strikes)

10 x 3 mins Bagwork

5 x 3 mins Thai Pad work

Shadowbox 5 x 3 min rds

ab work (crunchs, leg rasiers etc)

500 Low Kicks right leg, 500 low kicks left leg to the long heavy bag

Sparring 6 to 10 - 3 min rds

Shadow again to bring the body back down, and stretch out.

Alternate days we would swim, 1000, mtrs local pool

Strength training with weights

mountain running with medium weighted backpack.

This does NOT include regular classes i needed to take 6 days a week.

the result of this training can be found on my fight record at:

http://marktysondojo.com/sensei.htm

Because training is so varied with regards to traditional formats, i will outlay a typical day when my boys & myself were training for Kickboxing and Muay Thai bouts when our Karate Tournaments are out of season so too speak.

Start the day with:

Stretch

6-8km jog

Incorporating short Sprints

Skipping 15 to 20 mins straight. (nice warm up)

5 x 3 mins shadowbox ( incorporating punchs, kicks, knees and elbow strikes)

10 x 3 mins Bagwork

5 x 3 mins Thai Pad work

Shadowbox 5 x 3 min rds

ab work (crunchs, leg rasiers etc)

500 Low Kicks right leg, 500 low kicks left leg to the long heavy bag

Sparring 6 to 10 - 3 min rds

Shadow again to bring the body back down, and stretch out.

Alternate days we would swim, 1000, mtrs local pool

Strength training with weights

mountain running with medium weighted backpack.

This does NOT include regular classes i needed to take 6 days a week.

the result of this training can be found on my fight record at:

http://marktysondojo.com/sensei.htm

Thanks for tht, a good read.

You from Tamworth?

im from coffs harbour..

Osu