• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One of my instructors did a class on knife defence one time. He gave everyone a felt pen to simulate the knife. Needless to say, everybody came out with pen marks all over their body. Including the most experienced students. Even the smallest cut can make a huge difference.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my instructors did a class on knife defence one time. He gave everyone a felt pen to simulate the knife. Needless to say, everybody came out with pen marks all over their body. Including the most experienced students. Even the smallest cut can make a huge difference.

Thats right!! I have done that very thing also on a few occasions it amazes people on how easy it is to get cut. I like the new training knives that have the marking blades.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

• 2 months later...

I was once attacked by a sword. Luckily I had enough sense to side step, and throat strike at the same time. Now at the time I attacked I didn't know who it was, it turned out to be my friend. Lets just say he could barely talk for a few days. And he deserved it.

i actually prefer hakama to standard gi pants. i love the loose feel, and they make me look like a samurai :) plus you get all that ventilation. in kendo, they are worn primarily because of tradition, but we do full contact sparring in them and they don't get in the way or anything. when i practice at home i often wear them for kata, even shotokan kata.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

From my talking to various instructors, visiting various dojos it seems wearing a hakama is much like putting on your jeans. There really is no "right" way or "wrong" way to wear it (other than to make sure the koshita is in the back). Some schools/styles are very very fussy about exactness and formal wear, such as the knot has to be this way or that. My feeling is that a hakama is more personal and needs to be utilitarian as well as being outwardly a traditional garb. It has to be comfortable, fit right, and present no impediment to movement. Beyond that you can tie the hime around your neck if that what you need to do. All I care about is that the hakama is black. Previous posters have indicated some good sources and information on the subject.

I was once attacked by a sword. Luckily I had enough sense to side step, and throat strike at the same time. Now at the time I attacked I didn't know who it was, it turned out to be my friend. Lets just say he could barely talk for a few days. And he deserved it.

Why was your friend attacking you with a sword???

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

We only wear our Hakama for Sword training and Black Belt testing. We do have to tie the knot a specific way to indicate rank. I do not like to wear them, but would probably get used to it if we had to wear them more often.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Why was your friend attacking you with a sword???

Because he is an idiot. He hasn't done it again.

He was serious at the time. I asked him why and he told me the reason he did it was because I had quit sword fighting with him. I sword fought when I was younger and quit because I realized how easily I could have killed him, or he I. So he attacked me. I quit hanging out with him. The smartest thing I ever did.