Does a piece of paper make you better?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in an interesting scenario when it comes to this subject. I was prevously a member of the ATA. The ATA has a very stringent instructor certification program. In order to become an instructor in the ATA, you have to go to their certification camp. This is a week long camp in which all of the trainees are put into groups with fourth and fifth degree certified instructors. In these groups, they go over various class teaching strategies, ideas behind different learning techniques, how to put a class together to flow smoothly from one concept to another, how to break down the segements of a testing cycle, and so on. It is very intensive, and a very complete system. During the week, each trainee also has to demonstrate that he or she knows all of the curricula that the ATA requires for testings. When they are issued their Instructor Certifications, they have been through the ringer. Before a trainee can even go to the camp, they must log around 1800 class hours of assisting in teaching.

Now, in my current organization, after you pass your 3rd dan testing, you are issued an Instructor Certification. This testing is no different than any other physical testing in the organization. However, we all have to take a pre-test in which we go through all of the forms and one-steps and physical requirements up to our level.

Which has the better program? Which produces better instructors? You cannot tell, because inevitably one could probably find good and bad instructors in any organization, regardless of the certification process involved. But, when you find out what the protocols of different instructor certifications are, it can lead you to assume what level of competence the instructor has (although I try never to assume anything :) ).

"A belt is just a piece of material, A brain is more than that"

A drop of sweat spent in practice is a drop of blood saved in a battle.

A person who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the man doing it.