• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sensei's Under Pressure

Scully

I think this is an excellent post that addresses a lagitimate concern. It would make a great topic for an article!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure this is a problem, but unfortunately, in order for instructors to continue to instruct in today's world, they have to make money, and this usually comes in the form of taking on more students. We can't expect ever student to be as committed, hard working, or interested in martial arts training as the next. I think that the instructor's job is to create an atmosphere of discipline in their school, and those who really want such discipline will excel in class. Other students who might not try as hard, or have the ability or motivation to do as well, still gain from martial arts training. Although they may not make it to black belt, or may not be national champion competitors, I can't remember any instructor ever guarunteeing that this type of thing will happen. All an instructor can do is provide guidance for their students' to become the best people they can be both inside and outisde the school. Whether this comes in the form of being an excellent martial artist from an athletic standpoint, or just a more mentally disciplined person, with more self confidence and self control than before makes no difference. You'd think that these two things go hand in hand, but this isn't always the case, and perhaps the student's goal isn't to do the most crisp forms, highest kicks, or win all of his/her sparring matches. Maybe they just want a fun activity to get some exercise and improve their overall wellness, and therefore, their advancement up the ranks should have little to do with how technically perfect their technique is, and more about their progression as a person. Perfection is for competition, not grading.

I'm not saying that students shouldn't work hard and try their best, but when it comes to kids just screwing around: in my experience, they will eventually become more disciplined, or quit. When and if they do become more disciplined, they will be able to advance to higher ranks, and into the adult classes based on this new attitude, and their progression further into discipline. It may not have to be dependent on their physical and technical ability, but rather their overall progression in attitude and behavior.

At any age, your own physical conditioning is up to you, not your instructor. If you can do all of your forms correctly, but maybe not with the same fluidity, power, grace, etc. as someone of comperable rank, should you be penalized for your lack of physical ability, even though you have worked hard and shown improvement? I don't think so, nor do I think that black belts should go only to those that have the highest kicks, best power, and most technical ability. Even though a student may not perform up to the standards of an instructor that has been training for years and years, many students who start MA training didn't have the confidence to even try some of the things they become able to do even after a few months of MA training, and this is what should be considered more heavily than actual physical ability. Again, those who excel in improving themselves can become great martial artists just like those with natural physical ability and total committment to technical and athletic training, but great martial artists aren't too concerned with rank, either their's or the ranks' of others. They are more concerned with attitude and self confidenc. Any good MA school should be a family of people supporting and helping one another to improve regardless of rank, age, sex, race, physical ability, time available to commit to training, etc. We all progress at different speeds and to different levels, but belt ranks should reflect the student's individual progression, not relative to the abilities, or progression of anyone else.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I've heard this problem come up in many posts, and I feel that a lot of people are just comparing themselves to whoever is standing next to them, and not focusing on actually improving to the best of their ability. If you get jealous because there is a student who has been promoted and you think you're better than him, or should be a higher rank than him, or just that he didn't deserve the promotion, then you aren't focusing on the right things. Focus on yourself and let your instructor worry about the other students. If you are an instructor, and are disappointed in your students' performance, first evaluate how much that student has progressed. If he hasn't shown improvement from his last test, then don't let him test until he does, if he has shown improvement and hard work, but maybe doesn't do as well as other students for whatever reason, you shouldn't penalize him by holding him back from testing, but just do what you do with your other students: teach him to the best of your ability, and the rest is up to him, but I wouldn't hold a student to standards that are clearly beyond their means.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

I get your point ottman, but the situation in our club is different to the way you described it. i'm not looking at one or two people in the class. It is almost all the kids thats are worying me. It is extremely dis-respectful to my sensei and even to me as I teach katas to the young ones and they show no improvement from white belt to brown belt. And when it comes to teaching to the best of my ability, there is a little story that goes with that. I was asked to warm up the class for the first time (I only usually help with kata training) and the kids thought they were going to get a free ride, considering I'm the young cool punk/mosher teenager rebel, I could see it in their eyes. They didnt get it easy. I drove them harder than the other black belts do sometimes (not to say that they aren't strict, they can be very tough). Press ups, sit ups any punishment (legal punishment) that I could give out for being disobedient I gave them. Even when I was trying to make them do their best , the higher grades were moving like people who had never heard of karate, never mind not started it. It just worries me on how they train.

none of this is jealousy or envy or whatever you want to put it. It's concern and worry about the kids, the dojo and most importantly my Senseis respect (and self respect).

"If instead of fighting with him you say to your enemy, "You have won" and bow before him, that is the biggest deed in the world."

You know, punishment does not always work. In fact, sometimes it makes matters worse. Is there not one child in the group who is trying really hard to do well? Instead of punishing one or several, commend the ones trying hard. You will get more children trying with positive reinforcement vs. negative. I always point out the children trying hard by saying things like "wow, jimmy has awesome push ups. Jimmy, would you like to come up front and show the class how hard you are trying and demonstrate... " This works all the time in any situation. Kids want to do well. Help them get there. Don't punish them for not trying hard, teach them how to try hard.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

You know, punishment does not always work. In fact, sometimes it makes matters worse. Is there not one child in the group who is trying really hard to do well? Instead of punishing one or several, commend the ones trying hard. You will get more children trying with positive reinforcement vs. negative. I always point out the children trying hard by saying things like "wow, jimmy has awesome push ups. Jimmy, would you like to come up front and show the class how hard you are trying and demonstrate... " This works all the time in any situation. Kids want to do well. Help them get there. Don't punish them for not trying hard, teach them how to try hard.

This is a good point. Positive correction rather than critisism.

I'll give the positive thing a try then. Hopefully I can find a balance between both (dont want to be TO nice to them) Thanks for the help guys. Carry on posting if there is any other comments on the subject, I'll need the help.

"If instead of fighting with him you say to your enemy, "You have won" and bow before him, that is the biggest deed in the world."

I'll give the positive thing a try then. Hopefully I can find a balance between both (dont want to be TO nice to them) Thanks for the help guys. Carry on posting if there is any other comments on the subject, I'll need the help.

It is not about being too nice, it is about finding SOMETHING that they are doing well, and then reinforcing it. Even if you only have one kid who stands at attention properly, point it out by giving a high-five or something. Believe me, these little things will start helping. If you just punish, punish, punish, they will begin to wonder if they can do anything right, and then you have lost them completly.

Something similar happened at the dojo I used to train at - the effect was the loss of two core students for the sensei - two who paid in full every month (even when unemployed) , showed up for every class, came to every extra event, taught class at the drop of a hat when needed (literally sometimes with a five minute notice) showed up on their own for additional practice, cleaned the place (the only ones who cleaned the place, I might add) did a lot of PR for the place, donated money, time, and even equipment to the dojo, organized fund-raisers, showed up at tournaments when the Sensei couldn't make it - all without ever asking for a reduced fee -even though it had been offered to them. The three that were promoted were the ones who showed up to train, didn't work very hard, kissed a lot of (insert word here), skipped up to five months of class, and, in one case, didn't even have to pay (this person was supposed to keep up the dojo website in exchange for training and didn't even do that). Sometimes you sacrafice the dedicated students for the paying ones - ones who may be paying now, but will eventually get bored and quit when things aren't going their way. The way to keep them in class is to make sure they get what they want, whether they earn it or not (this is what my sensei did).

Yes, you may have only two or three core students, and they don't pay the bills. And when you try to please everyone, you end up loosing everyone. My former dojo has lost students, and has not gained any new ones (at least, ones that stayed around longer than two months). I suppose every dojo owner has a dream of five hundred serious paying students, seven floors and tons of others lining up to get in. Me? I did the worst thing possible - I went renegade and opened my own dojo without asking my former sensei's permission. And - here's another bad part - I teach for free. Naturally word of this got back to my former sensei, who ended up sending me a letter I found totally hilarious, though I am sure he meant it as a way to break my confidance as he told me, basically, what a horrible karateka I was. Now when I was in his class, he told me I was one of his best students, that he never had any trouble with me, and that I was really coming along wonderfully. Now, which is right? Was I good as long as I was paying and NOT in compition with him? And the real funny thing is - I am NOT in compition with him. I have had my former classmates call me and want to train with me, but I've refused. I have no desire to steal his bread and butter, no desire to ruin him. My dojo is small - three students. That's all I want. I have had at least twelve other kids ask (through my current students) to join and I have refused. I've even suggested that some try my former dojo (just because he was a jerk with me does not mean he is a bad man or a jerk with everyone - just as a note, I still respect his martial skills and his ability to teach, I just don't respect him very much as a human being).

On that long winded note, one of my students just isn't trying. I can't get her to put anything into kata, or practise at home. I was on the verge of telling her not to bother to come back, but decided instead to have a talk with her. She sincerely wanted to stay (I suspected mostly for the socilaization since she is friends with the other two) and her parents really want her to stay in (so she remains active). So I told her that I would work with her. And I've got her punching and kicking much better now, but kata itself is a slow process. I don't rank, but I do reward, and when my other student "tested" and did very well and got a small gift, it inspired her to at least remember all the moves in kata. We just now have to work on stances. I like the freedom of not charging (I have a full time job that pays the bills, BTW), but I also respect and admire those who do charge - those who try to make a living following their dream. Each child is different, and they are motived by different things. The secret is finding out what motivates each one. Is it rank? Is is praise? Teaching is a challenge, because everyone learns things differently. The key is finding a way to motivate each student while being fair. All standards should be the same for each student - and if it takes one longer to get there than another, fine. One of my girls with no prior MA experience is already on her third kata while the one I am having difficulty with is still on her first- and she has had prior MA classes. It takes will, determination, and - above all - patience. If I give the one who isn't trying the same reward for the one who is - yes, the one who is will be the better martial artist, but its a hollow victory when you know that it doesn't matter to your sensei that you are working hard yet those who aren't are getting the same rewards or ranks. When parents want to know why Johnny isn't being promoted with Jeffy since they both started on the same day, they need to be told that Johnny isn't working as hard, then suggest that perhaps Johnny arrive early and have a private session with one of the higher ranking students to help him out. It keeps Johnny's parents paying, Jeffy's parents paying, and all students happy.

Shinobu