• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tokon vs Kamikaze

Are Tokon and Kamikaze gis the same? They have the same naming scheme "America", "Europa", "Monarch"... but Kamikaze is cheaper.

I'm looking for a good quality "value" gi, but I was trying to stay under $100 (so those are already a stretch of my budget).

Maybe I should "settle" for the likes of Pro-Force

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tokon is a name for Kamikaze products in North American market. The reason for the new name is that the owner of https://www.kamikaze.com took hold of the Kamikaze brand in North American area and begun producing the lower quality copies of the original European Kamikaze uniforms (as well as launched the "Arawaza" brand).

So, if you're in Europe, Kamikaze is the real deal. If in North America, Tokon is the real deal.

If you're searching for a good quality "value" do-gi, get a Tokon America.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Having met Marcus at the Ozawa Cup in April and seeing his Tokon gis in person, I can say that they are top quality. I had purchased my friend the Okinawa model, and she loved it :D

So you can't go wrong with Tokon if your are buying it here in the U.S.

:karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

• 2 months later...

ooooo

So THOSE are the Fake Kamikaze's.

It has a Sun label.

I was wondering why people had the sun label and called it a kamikaze.

I've got a real deal kimikaze America, bought a few yer back, and just ordered a Soverign with the new tokon label.

It's WAY better than proforce.

I've had proforce b4.

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Germany, I´ve heard a rumour.

Maybe the owner of Kamikaze doesn´t use the name Kamikaze in the

States, because of american History.

He doesn´t want them to have the same name as the Kamikaze Bombers.

But that´s only a tale, you have to ask him yourself.

https://www.kamikazeweb.com

But you can´t go wrong with kamikaze gi´s.

I have the Instructor, the old JKF and the Old Emperor by Hiroshi Shirai.

They are about 10 years old and still good.

Of course, you can see that I´ve used them often, but you do not want to

win a beauty contest... :wink:

My favourit Karate Gi is the Shureido TK-10.

I have one, and I´m always happy when I´m wearing it.

It has positive energy in it, because it´s made in Japan :P

Here in Germany, I´ve heard a rumour.

Maybe the owner of Kamikaze doesn´t use the name Kamikaze in the

States, because of american History.

That is not true.

Truth is that the current holder of the "Kamikaze" -brand name in North-America used to be a business associate of European Kamikaze. Then, the business relationship ended and the North-American brand continued to live its own life - its holder decided to produce its own, lower quality copies of Kamikaze uniforms (Arawaza is also one of their brands).

Real Kamikaze is now known as Tokon in North-America, as the Kamikaze-brand is taken by the former business associate.

So, if you're in Europe, buy Kamikaze. In North-America, get Tokon if you want real stuff.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

• 1 month later...

I am sorry but I don't agree with you.

I personally known the owner of Kamikaze in North America. The Tokon brand was pushed by it's owner (a relative of Kamikaze in Germany) in order to take off his own brand into USA based on all the work of the real and legitimate Kamikaze distributors (kamikaze.com, kamikazeusa.com) which were there long time before his arrival.

It's been 10 years I am buying Kamikaze uniforms from kamikaze.com. I can tell you they have the best quality equipment from far. During the years I've purchased many uniforms for myself and my students. The quality was never in question and the service is always excellent. Lat year I purchased the Arawaza Onyx and I can say that no other uniforms on the market can get even close to the quality of this one. (I also have Adidas, Shureido and Tokaido.)

In order to have a clear idea of the political issues between Europe and North America you should also contact directly kamikaze.com and kamikazeusa.com They will tell you the truth about what happened. They've been in Kamikaze business much longer than Tokon into the USA.

One thing I can tell you that the only legitimate and real Kamikaze uniforms in USA are not Tokon but still Kamikaze sold by kamikaze.com and kamikazeusa.com. I think people should know both sides of the story before judging anyone or make any false accusations.. which can lead to much confusion so often found in all politics of martial arts.

ooooo

So THOSE are the Fake Kamikaze's.

It has a Sun label.

I was wondering why people had the sun label and called it a kamikaze.

I've got a real deal kimikaze America, bought a few yer back, and just ordered a Soverign with the new tokon label.

It's WAY better than proforce.

I've had proforce b4.

As someone who has sampled lots of karate uniforms recently, I'd point out that the ProForce Ultra Heavyweight is actually very decent for the $60 US it costs. It's cut generously and the cloth is brushed, so it is comfortable from the first wearing. Brushed cotton will not last as long as canvas, but at $60 you can afford to replace your uniform more frequently.

I do like the premium brands, but ProForce has a quality product for its price point.